The perfect weekday meal... in just one pot!
Do you find yourself staring at a sink full of pots, pans, and dishes after preparing a meal? Maybe it’s time to hop onto the one-pot bandwagon! It’s all you need to whip up this easy chicken recipe, saving you the hassle of cleaning up a post-dinner kitchen disaster.
This One-Pot Chicken Paella hits all the major food groups. The chicken packs in protein, the bed of seasoned rice delivers grains, and the assortment of nutritious vegetables fill you with vitamins and minerals. This succulent, fall-off-the-bone chicken will satisfy your taste buds and fight off future cravings. This perfect weekday meal is wholesome enough to stand by itself without any accompanying side dishes.
One-Pot Chicken Paella
- 1 1/2 pounds chicken drumsticks skin discarded (6 pieces)
- 1 cup brown rice long or short grain (Uncle Ben's was used in this recipe)
- 2 cups chicken broth low-sodium
- 2 1/2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil divided
- 3/4 cup peas frozen
- 1/2 cup yellow onions chopped
- 1 garlic clove minced
- 1 teaspoon curry powder optional saffron
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1 bay leaf
- 1/3 cup carrots minced
- 1/3 cup red bell pepper chopped
- Heat 1 1/2 tablespoons olive oil in the bottom of a pot over medium heat. Rinse chicken, pat dry, and season all sides with salt and pepper. Add to the hot oil. Make sure not to allow oil to get too hot. Cook the outside of the chicken for 6 minutes, flipping periodically to brown on all sides.
- Chicken should become lightly golden, but the drumsticks shouldn't be cooked all the way through. Remove chicken and set aside. Add remaining 1 tablespoon olive oil, onions, carrots, and red peppers to the pot. Cook for 4 to 5 minutes until the onions have softened and are slightly translucent.
- Add curry or saffron, paprika, and 2 tablespoons of the broth to the pot with the onions and peppers. Stir to form a paste. Allow to cook for 1 to 2 minutes. Add garlic and cook for 30 seconds more.
- Add the remaining broth, bay leaf, peas, and rice, stir to combine. Add the drumsticks on top. Cover and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to lowest setting, keeping paella covered, and allow to simmer for 25 to 30 minutes, or until rice is tender. Uncover and fluff rice with fork. Remove bay leaf, serve and enjoy!
Have you made this recipe?
Tag @skinnyms on Instagram or hashtag it #skinnyms
Have some ideas to share? We’d love to hear from you! Let us know what you think about this article or anything else you’d like to see on Skinny Ms.