Quinoa is a favorite ingredient among vegetarians and vegans, as it contains high quality protein and is both filling and versatile. These quinoa stuffed sweet potatoes are a delicious vegetarian meal on their own. They’re easy to prepare and taste great, too. The light orange flavor complements the sweet potato well for an orange quinoa dish that’s a healthy and delicious meal any day of the week.
Yields: 2 servings | Serving Size: 1 sweet potato|Calories: 396| Total Fat: 10 g | Saturated Fat: 1 g | Trans Fat: 0 g | Cholesterol: 10 mg | Sodium: 25 mg | Carbohydrates: 70 g | Dietary Fiber: 10 g | Sugars: 2 g | Protein: 8 g | SmartPoints (Freestyle): 12
- 2 sweet potatoes
- 1/2 cup freshly squeezed orange juice
- 1/2 cup vegetable stock
- 1/2 cup quinoa
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 green onions, diced
- 1 celery stalk, chopped
- 1/4 cup dried cranberries
- 1/4 cup chopped pecans
- Zest of 1 orange
- Salt and pepper
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Place the sweet potatoes on a sheet pan and place in the oven. Bake for 30 minutes. Remove from oven and prick with a fork. Bake for 30 more minutes.
- Bring the orange juice and stock to a boil in a saucepan. Add the quinoa and reduce to a simmer. Cover and cook for 15 minutes, until quinoa is fluffy and liquid is absorbed.
- Heat a skillet over medium heat. Add the olive oil, green onions, and celery and cook until soft. Stir in the cranberries and pecans and season with salt and pepper. Stir in the orange zest.
- When the quinoa is down cooking, add it to the pan and stir until well combined.
- When the sweet potatoes are done baking, cut a slit into the top. Stuff with the quinoa mixture and serve.
Looking for more vegan, vegetarian, and gluten-free recipes? Don’t miss out on the latest and greatest from SkinnyMs. Be sure to subscribe to our newsletter.