These cookies are highly flavored with fragrant spices, vanilla, and orange zest. A sure winner!
The holidays are a perfect time to test out new sweet treat recipes. If you’re looking for skinnied up versions though, try our Orange Spice Cookies! They are highly flavored with fragrant spices, vanilla, and orange zest. We’ve used whole wheat and almond flours in place of all-purpose, coconut oil instead of butter, and sweetened them with palm sugar and molasses.
They will taste just as good as any other treat at a holiday gathering or cookie exchange, but they’re so good you may want to save them for yourself!
Orange Spice Cookies
- 1 cup whole-wheat flour
- 1/3 cup almond flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground clove
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cardamom optional
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 2 tablespoons coconut oil melted
- 1 egg
- 1/2 teaspoon almond extract
- 1/4 cup molasses
- 1/4 cup coconut palm sugar
- 3 tablespoons orange zest
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees. Line a cookie sheet with parchment paper or spray with nonstick spray.
- Sift together both flours, baking powder and soda, ginger, cinnamon, clove, cardamom (if using, and salt. Set aside. In a separate bowl, mix together the oil, egg, and almond extract. Once combined stir in molasses, palm sugar, and orange zest. Gradually add the flour mixture, stirring until well combined. Cover and refrigerate for 1 hour.
- Drop cookie dough by the spoonful (about 1 tablespoon) on the prepared cookie sheet. Bake 9-12 minutes, just until edges begin to brown. Cool cookies on cookie sheet for about 10 minutes before removing.
Have you made this recipe?
Tag @skinnyms on Instagram or hashtag it #skinnyms
What are your favorite skinny dessert recipes? Share yours with us in the comments!