Enjoy a classic Southern favorite without falling off the Paleo bandwagon. Cauliflower stands in for corn-based grits and takes on a creamy texture to serve as a base for the spicy shrimp mixture.
Yields: 8 servings | Serving Size: 1 cup | Calories: 297 | Total Fat: 23 g | Saturated Fat: 2 g | Trans Fat: 0 g | Cholesterol: 143 mg | Sodium: 151 mg | Carbohydrates: 7 g | Dietary Fiber: 2 g | Sugars: 2 g | Protein: 17 g | SmartPoints (Freestyle): 8
- 1 (12 ounce) package cauliflower florets, about 4 cups
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/2 cup organic chicken broth
- 1/2 cup almond meal
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 large lemon
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 large onion, minced
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 pounds large shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 1 teaspoon Creole seasoning
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley
- To prepare grits, process cauliflower, in batches, in a food processor until cauliflower resembles grits.
- Heat 1 tablespoon oil in a small saucepan over medium heat. Add cauliflower to pan; cook 4 minutes stirring often. Stir in broth, almond meal, salt, and pepper. Cook 12 minutes or until liquid is evaporated, stirring frequently.
- To prepare shrimp, grate rind from lemon; set aside. Cut lemon in half; squeeze juice into small bowl.
- Heat 3 tablespoons oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium heat. Add onion and garlic. Cook 8 minutes; stirring frequently. Add shrimp, seasoning, lemon rind, and lemon juice.
- Saute 4 minutes or just until shrimp turns pink. Remove from heat, and stir in parsley.
- Serve shrimp mixture over cauliflower grits.