A simple sauce for every cook's kitchen.
A simple, classic tomato sauce is a must-have in any cook’s kitchen. Use it alone on top of pasta for an easy meal, or add it to lasagnas or casseroles. Throw in extra veggies or even some lean meat. The possibilities are endless. This sauce doesn’t improve on perfection. The perfect, umami blend of tomatoes, basil, and Parmesan make for a sauce that’s delicious on its own or as an ingredient in a multitude of Italian specialties.
Simple Tomato Sauce
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 onion small, finely chopped
- 15 ounces tomatoes can
- pinch of dried oregano or fresh basil
- 1/4 cup parmigiano reggiano grated or parmesan cheese
- Over medium heat, in a saucepan 4 tablespoons of extra virgin olive oil, sautè the onion.
- After about 2 minutes, pour the canned tomatoes.
- Put a little bit of water in the can, swirl it to get the remaining tomato sauce then pour in the saucepan too. Let it boil then simmer for 30 - 45 minutes on low fire.
- Add the oregano and salt to taste.
- You can put the remaining sauce in mini containers for future use and freeze them, if you are serving baby or toddler portions.
- If you are using it as pasta sauce, mix with the cooked pasta.
- Sprinkle with the grated Parmigiano Reggiano or Parmesan & drizzle with extra virgin olive oil.
- If you are using it as pizza base, don't add the cheese & oil.
Have you made this recipe?
Tag @skinnyms on Instagram or hashtag it #skinnyms
We’d love to hear what you think. Leave us a comment in the comments section below.