These will become a part of your recipe rotation after one bite!
Pizza is one of the ultimate indulgent foods out there. Switch up your typical pizza recipe and make a batch of low-carb Skinny Bell Pepper Pizza Boats instead! Creamy mozzarella, seasoned ground beef and plenty of vegetables make these a healthier, and equally satisfying, alternative to your typical slice of pie.
These pizza boats are a perfect appetizer to serve for a game day get-together or for an after-school snack. You can make these with any toppings you have on hand and can try various combinations of flavors. These will become a part of your recipe rotation after one bite!
Skinny Bell Pepper Pizza Boats
- 1 pound lean ground beef optional turkey
- 3 bell peppers cored and seeds removed (varied colors if available)
- 1 cup mushrooms diced
- 1/2 cup red onions diced
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 3/4 cup pizza sauce or marinara
- 3 roma tomatoes small, sliced
- 1/3 cup black olives sliced
- 1 cup mozzarella cheese part-skim, shredded
- 2 tablespoons basil fresh
- In a large skillet, cook ground meat over medium-high heat, breaking up with a fork as it cooks. When meat is almost done, add diced mushrooms and onions. Continue cooking until meat has lost its pink color and is cooked through. Drain off excess fat, and add black pepper, red pepper flakes, and pizza sauce or marinara, stir to combine.
- While meat is cooking, slice each bell pepper into 6 verticle pieces, along the seam where they dip down.
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
- Place pepper boats on a parchment-lined baking sheet. Equally divide meat mixture among each boat. Distribute tomato slices, sliced olives, then cheese over meat mixture. Bake for 15 minutes or until cheese is melted. Remove from oven and sprinkle with chopped basil.
- NOTE: If you prefer much softer bell peppers, add a few tablespoons water to the bottom of a large casserole dish, add boats, cover tightly with foil, and bake 20 minutes.
Have you made this recipe?
Tag @skinnyms on Instagram or hashtag it #skinnyms
How does your family do Italian night? Leave a comment in the section below.