Pizza is one of the ultimate indulgent foods out there. Switch up your typical pizza recipe and make a batch of low-carb Skinny Bell Pepper Pizza Boats instead! Creamy mozzarella, seasoned ground beef and plenty of vegetables make these a healthier, and equally satisfying, alternative to your typical slice of pie.
These pizza boats are a perfect appetizer to serve for a game day get-together or for an after-school snack. You can make these with any toppings you have on hand and can try various combinations of flavors. These will become a part of your recipe rotation after one bite!
Yields: 18 boats | Serving Size: 2 boats | Calories: 163 | Total Fat: 9g | Saturated Fat: 4g | Trans Fat: 0g | Cholesterol: 44mg | Sodium: 230mg | Carbohydrates: 6g | Fiber: 2g | Sugar: 3g | Protein: 13g | SmartPoints (Freestyle): 5
- 1 pound lean ground beef, optional turkey
- 3 bell peppers, cored and seeds removed (varied colors if available)
- 1 cup diced mushrooms
- 1/2 cup diced red onions
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 3/4 cup pizza sauce, or marinara
- 3 small Roma tomatoes, sliced
- 1/3 cup sliced black olives
- 1 cup shredded mozzarella cheese, (part-skim)
- 2 tablespoons fresh basil
- In a large skillet, cook ground meat over medium-high heat, breaking up with a fork as it cooks. When meat is almost done, add diced mushrooms and onions. Continue cooking until meat has lost its pink color and is cooked through. Drain off excess fat, and add black pepper, red pepper flakes, and pizza sauce or marinara, stir to combine.
- While meat is cooking, slice each bell pepper into 6 verticle pieces, along the seam where they dip down.
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
- Place pepper boats on a parchment lined baking sheet. Equally divide meat mixture among each boat. Distribute tomato slices, sliced olives, then cheese over meat mixture. Bake for 15 minutes or until cheese is melted. Remove from oven and sprinkle with chopped basil.
- NOTE: If you prefer much softer bell peppers, add a few tablespoons water to the bottom of a large casserole dish, add boats, cover tightly with foil and bake 20 minutes.
- Optional Toppings: olives, sun-dried tomatoes, banana peppers, baby spinach, and feta crumbles can be used in place of mozzarella.
How does your family do Italian night? Leave a comment in the section below.