A fantastic dessert made into a delicious low calorie treat.
The original Bananas Foster was created at Brennan’s Restaurant in New Orleans over 60 years ago. They had an excess of bananas, so they tried cooking the banana slices in butter and sugar. Who knows why someone added rum and lit the whole thing on fire, but an iconic dessert was born! Skinny Ms. has taken this fantastic, flaming dessert and turned it into a delicious low calorie treat. Our Slow Cooker Bananas Foster is destined to be a hit with friends and families.
To transform this classic dessert into a skinnier version, we made some ingredient substitutions. The first things to go were the butter and sugar: Neither one of those things is very good for your waistline! We tried combining honey, coconut oil, cinnamon, and a little rum extract with the banana slices. It really created the perfect flavor profile to take these Slow Cooker Bananas Foster to a whole new level! Not only did it taste great, but each serving of this gluten-free dessert has just a little over 100 calories and only two grams of fat.
Healthy and Decadent Belong In The Same Sentence
If you’re on a diet or a weight-loss plan, you might think that decadent and healthy can’t belong in the same sentence. Well, we’re here to tell you that you’re flat-out wrong! That’s a good thing, because it means you can have your cake and eat it, too.
Everyone needs a full-flavored, decadent treat from time-to-time. This is especially true if you’re restricting your calories or cutting out your favorite foods. This Slow Cooker Bananas Foster is the perfect way to dive into an elegant dessert without feeling guilty about it. Many of our readers say they love our Slow Cooker Bananas Foster recipe.
We also included stovetop recipe if you don’t have time to wait for the slow cooker version. It takes about 2 hours of hands-off time in the slow cooker. If you don’t have that much time, toss everything into a saucepan. Let it cook for 30 minutes on low, stirring occasionally, and you’ll be able to serve the treat in no time.
You can make it for special occasions and elegant dinner parties to wow your guests. Or, serve it up at a casual family gathering or backyard barbecue. If you’re looking for a great way to serve up this Slow Cooker Bananas Foster, try serving it with a side of skinny ice cream. Vanilla is classic, and if you’re buying it form the store look for a brand that has minimal ingredients. Or, make your own! We love this Coconut Mango Ice Cream, and this vegan 3-Ingredient Banana Pudding Ice Cream would pair particularly well.
As a favorite in the Skinny Ms. community, we promise that anyone and everyone will want to know how you made it. In fact, our Slow Cooker Bananas Foster recipe has been featured on Shape Magazine and the Huffington Post. Dive into this luscious dessert and enjoy!
Slow Cooker Bananas Foster
- 1 tablespoon coconut oil melted (unrefined coconut oil)
- 3 tablespoons honey or use maple syrup to make this vegan-friendly
- 1/2 lemon juiced
- 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
- 5 bananas medium firmness, 1/2 inch slices
- 1/2 teaspoon 100% rum extract optional
- Add and combine the first four ingredients to the slow cooker. Add banana slices, toss gently to coat with honey mixture. Cover and cook on low 1 1/2 to 2 hours. Add rum extract to bananas and stir to combine. Minimum slow cooker size: 4 quarts.
- Stovetop Method: Combine the first 4 ingredients in a medium saucepan. Add banana slices, toss gently to coat with honey mixture, cover and cook on low heat for approximately 30 minutes, or until heated through and bananas are soft but not falling apart. Add rum extract and stir to combine. Enjoy alone or over favorite desserts.
Have you made this recipe?
Tag @skinnyms on Instagram or hashtag it #skinnyms
Never miss a recipe, join us on Pinterest for more slow cooker favorites.