Here at Skinny Ms, we’re always looking for old recipes that we can reinvent in new and exciting ways. So, we took our traditional enchilada recipe and reworked it into Slow Cooker Chicken Enchilada Pie! No need to individually wrap and cook enchiladas, since layering tortillas in a slow cooker can make your life that much easier. And while some Mexican recipes can seem complicated with numerous steps and hard-to-find ingredients, we guarantee this recipe can’t be beat for simplicity!
By using whole wheat tortillas, fat-free sour cream, and sugar-free enchilada sauce, you can be sure that your dinner will be full of flavor without the extra calories!
Yields: 9 servings | Serving Size: 1 enchilada | Calories: 388 | Total Fat: 12g | Saturated Fat: 5g | Trans Fat: 0g | Cholesterol: 41mg | Sodium: 1057mg | Carbohydrates: 50g | Fiber: 4g | Sugar: 4g | Protein: 19g | SmartPoints (Freestyle): 12
- 2 half chicken breasts on the bone with skin (remove skin before adding to enchiladas)
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 (16 ounce) jar red enchilada sauce (no sugar added) (Quick & Easy Enchilada Sauce recipe)
- 1 (4 ounce) can green chile peppers
- 1 1/2 cups shredded cheddar cheese, reduced fat
- 1 (8 ounce) container sour cream, fat free
- 9 (6-inch) whole wheat tortillas, low sodium if possible (corn tortillas are not recommended as they tend to fall apart) Homemade Whole Grain Tortillas Recipe
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Place chicken breast on the bone, with skin, in a covered baking dish. Bake until juices run clear when pierced with a fork, after about 45 minutes. Chicken should have reached an internal temperature of 165 degrees. Allow to cool. Remove skin and bones, discard. Shred chicken or cut into bite-sized cubes.
- In a medium-mixing bowl add chicken, garlic powder, cumin, chili powder, black pepper, and salt. Add to seasoned chicken: green chile peppers, 1/2 cup of enchilada sauce, 1/2 cup sour cream, and 1 cup cheese. Mix well.
- Lightly spray the bottom and the sides of the slow cooker with nonstick cooking spray. We like to make our own cooking spray by filling this reusable cooking spray bottle with olive oil.
- Spread about 1/4 cup enchilada sauce on bottom of slow cooker. Lay three tortillas, overlapping and breaking in half as necessary to make an even layer. Cover with 1/3 the spiced chicken mixture, 1/4 cup of enchilada sauce, and 1/4 cup cheese. Repeat layering twice more, using the remaining cheese on top of the final chicken and sauce.
- Cover and cook on low 3 to 4 hours or on high 2 to 3 hours -- until hot and bubbly. Cut and carefully remove servings, one at a time. Pour liquid from slow cooker over enchilada slices and sprinkle with remaining cheese. Garnish with diced tomatoes, sour cream and shredded lettuce.