Low-carb nachos that are full of Southwest flavor? Yes, please!
Sure – nachos taste delicious, but they usually don’t rank very high on the list of nutritious, wholesome recipes. Luckily, you can satisfy your cravings for this classic Tex-Mex snack without worrying about your waistline. Our bell pepper nacho boats sub in low-carb bell peppers for ordinary carb-laden tortilla chips, allowing you to slash the carbs and calories.
Easy, Low-Carb, and Totally Delicious!
Simply stuff the wholesome combination of flavors and textures into nutrient-rich pepper boats! This tasty swap, along with delicious ingredients like lean ground meat, savory spices, juicy salsa, and melted cheddar cheese, will allow you to feel like you’re indulging, without negatively impacting your waistline!
Related: Southwestern Black Bean Casserole
Game Night is Better with Skinny Nacho Boats
Whether you’re looking for a tasty weekday snack, Superbowl appetizer, or are simply searching for a way to switch up taco Tuesday, these bell pepper nachos will do the trick!
Skinny Bell Pepper Nacho Boats
- 3 bell peppers
- 1 pound lean ground turkey
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher or sea salt
- 3/4 cup salsa no sugar added
- 1 cup cheddar cheese reduced-fat, grated
- Remove seeds, core, and membrane from bell peppers then slice each one into 6 vertical pieces where they dip down. Set sliced bell peppers aside.
- Cook ground turkey over medium-high heat, breaking up as it cooks. Cook until the turkey loses it's pink color and is cooked through. Drain off any fat.
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Combine cooked turkey with spices and salsa. Evenly distribute mixture into the bell pepper boats, top with cheese.
- Bake on a parchment lined baking sheet for 10 minutes or until cheese is melted and peppers are hot. Optional ingredients: sliced Jalapeno peppers, diced avocado, fat-free Greek yogurt or sour cream, or sliced green onions.
- NOTE: If you prefer much softer bell peppers, add a few tablespoons water to the bottom of a large casserole dish, add filled nachos, cover tightly with foil and bake 15 minutes.
Have you made this recipe?
Tag @skinnyms on Instagram or hashtag it #skinnyms
If you enjoyed these bell pepper nacho boats, we think that you will also love:
Skinny Burrito Bowls
These healthy, guilt-free burrito bowls are not only made with clean ingredients, but they also create less of a mess than traditional burritos. They will allow you to indulge in the same southwest flavors you love in a healthier way!
Skinny Mexican Rice
Pair this flavorful side dish with your favorite tacos, burritos, enchiladas, or any other Tex Mex recipe. Of course, you can also enjoy it as a meal on it’s own – if you’d like! Our skinny Mexican rice is made with brown rice, cumin, diced tomatoes, green chiles, and fresh cilantro, making it an incredibly nutritious choice!
Nacho Stuffed Sweet Potatoes
Nutrient-dense sweet potatoes pair up with lean, ground turkey and crushed tomatoes to create one incredibly healthy trio. Add in the Southwest seasonings of cumin and chili powder to elevate the flavor even further! Once you top these tasty morsels off with some shredded cheese and cilantro, you’ll have yourself a meal made in flavor-heaven!
Clean-Eating Loaded Grilled Chicken Nachos
You must try our restaurant-quality, clean-eating grilled chicken nachos! The only difference is, ours are full of clean, healthy ingredients! Just because ours are good for you, does not mean they’re lacking in flavor, either! Stone ground tortilla chips, tender grilled chicken, Cheddar cheese, charred corn, black beans, fresh avocado, lettuce, and tomato are just some of the ingredients you’ll find in this delicious plate of nachos!
We’d love to hear what you think about these nacho boats! Let us know in the comments section below.
Check out our Facebook page and follow us on Pinterest for tasty recipes, clean eating tips, and healthy lifestyle resources. You can also subscribe to our daily eNewsletter to get the latest and greatest recipes delivered directly to your inbox.
Big hit at our house, my 4 and 6 year old said to make them again! Are you able to save any extras, if so how?
Tiffany, YEAH!!! When the kids like a recipe it’s a win win!!! 🙂
This is one of my favorite recipes to make. It’s so simple, but so so delicious!
Cassie, Thank you so much for the feedback.
Can I cooked them and the freeze them?
Roberta, You sure can. Just be sure to let them cool down before freezing and thaw in the fridge.
Is kcal the same as calories?
Kayla, Yes, for the program we use it’s the same.
Keep us posted. 🙂
Doesn’t feed 9 people, I ate most of it haha. But it is delicious! Takes probably 45 minutes to make and bake… or maybe I’m just slow.