Enjoy southern fried chicken, SkinnyMs. style!
Serving Size: 1/2 Chicken Breast | Calories: 240 | Total Fat: 3 g | Saturated Fat: 1 g | Trans Fat: 0 g | Cholesterol: 37 mg | Sodium: 82 mg | Carbohydrates: 32 g | Sugars: 2 g | Dietary Fiber: 5 g | Protein: 20 g | SmartPoints (Freestyle): 3 |
- 4 chicken breast halves, skinless
- 1 egg white, slightly beaten
- 1 cup white whole wheat flour (I used King Arthur brand)
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon Kosher salt
- 1/4 cup canola oil
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Place the flour, black pepper and cayenne pepper in a gallon size zip lock bag.
- Dip chicken one piece at a time into egg white, allowing excess to drip off. Place chicken one at a time in the bag with flour mixture, shake the bag to lightly coat, remove the chicken and set aside.
- Add oil to an oven safe skillet, turn to medium heat. Oil is the right temperature when a pinch of flour dropped in sizzles. Do NOT allow oil to get to the smoking point.
- Brown chicken on both sides, about 8 minutes on each side. Leave chicken in skillet and place in the oven, do not cover. Cook 30 minutes. Place chicken on paper towels to remove excess oil.
- NOTE: There should be about 3/4 cup flour remaining after coating chicken. Also, about 1/2 the oil will remain after chicken is removed from skillet. This is so much healthier than deep frying chicken...and tastes great too!