Kids love this recipe!
When you’re on a time crunch and want to dish up something hearty for a crowd, allow a casserole to swoop to your rescue! The lifesaving dish makes a substantial amount of food with minimal prep on your part. This scrumptious Southwestern Broccoli & Potato Casserole is no exception! Vitamin-rich broccoli florets team up with red potatoes to form the bulk of this recipe. A savory sauce made up of flour, chicken broth, and butter is spiced up with some zesty green chilies and poured over the veggie blend. The casserole bakes for a mere 10 minutes, meaning it doesn’t carve out a significant chunk of time in your precious schedule.
We love mouthwatering cheeses like reduced-fat cheddar and shredded mozzarella, which melt to golden perfection in the oven and add to this casserole’s rich and creamy consistency. A nourishing source of vitamins and protein, this recipe is a surefire crowd-pleaser no matter the occasion!
Southwestern Broccoli & Potato Casserole
- 4 red potatoes medium
- 2 cups broccoli florets small
- 3/4 cup cheddar cheese reduced-fat, shredded
- 3/4 cup mozzarella cheese part-skim, shredded
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher or sea salt
- 3 tablespoons pure butter
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 2 cups chicken broth fat-free
- 1 1/2 cups Greek yogurt full-fat, optional sour cream
- 4 ounces diced green chiles can
- 3 green onions sliced
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Clean potatoes, rub with a little olive oil, and sprinkle with salt. Pierce potatoes with a fork, wrap in foil, and place on a baking sheet. Bake until slightly tender, about 45 minutes.
- Allow potatoes to cool until they can be handled. Cut potatoes into 1-inch cubes. Toss together cut potatoes, broccoli, half of each cheese, pepper, and salt, and add to a 9 x 13-inch casserole pan.
- In a medium saucepan, melt butter over medium-low heat. Add flour and whisk until smooth.
- Slowly pour in the broth, raise to medium heat, and whisk until it reaches a gravy-like consistency. Remove from heat and add yogurt and green chiles.
- Pour mixture over potatoes and broccoli and top with remaining mozzarella, then sprinkle cheddar in rows for a mouthwatering effect. Cover with foil and bake 20 minutes. Remove foil and bake an additional 10 minutes, or until cheese is melted and bubbly.
- Sprinkle with green onions and serve!
Have you made this recipe?
Tag @skinnyms on Instagram or hashtag it #skinnyms
We need your feedback! Leave a comment in the section below about this article or anything else on the site.