Looking for a quick and easy vegetarian entrée that is full of flavor? These delicious polenta cakes, topped with smoky black beans and a vibrant cilantro lime cream sauce, should fit the bill. Polenta is a gluten-free, versatile alternative to pasta or rice, and is delicious when lightly seared. The next time you’re looking for an impressive, filling, and healthy meal, these Southwestern polenta cakes won’t disappoint.
Yields: 4 servings | Serving Size: 4 slices polenta, 1/2 cup vegetables, 1 tablespoon sauce|Calories: 328| Total Fat: 8 g | Saturated Fat: 1 g | Trans Fat: 0 g | Cholesterol: 0 mg | Sodium: 210 mg | Carbohydrates: 53 g | Dietary Fiber: 15 g | Sugars: 10 g | Protein: 14 g | SmartPoints (Freestyle): 10
- 2 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 1 onion, diced
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 small eggplant, diced
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1/4 teaspoon sea salt
- 1 15-ounce can diced tomatoes
- 1 cup cooked black beans
- 1/2 cup frozen corn kernels
- 1 package prepared polenta, sliced into 1/2 inch slices
- 1/4 cup Greek yogurt
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped cilantro, plus more for garnish
- 1 tablespoon fresh lime juice
- Heat half the olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add the onion, garlic, and eggplant and cook until soft, about 10 minutes. Add the spices and salt and cook for 1 more minute. Add the tomatoes and 1/2 cup water and bring to a boil. Simmer for 5 minutes and stir in the black beans and corn. Turn off heat.
- In another skillet, heat remaining olive oil. Add the polenta slices and cook until light browned and crispy on both sides.
- Top the polenta slice with the vegetable mixture. To make the sauce, whisk together the yogurt with the cilantro and lime juice. Drizzle over top the polenta cakes and top with extra cilantro if desired.