This Southwestern Stuffed Peppers recipe delivers bold taste wrapped up in a bright package. Made with entirely clean ingredients, this vegetarian-friendly dish will fill you up with its high protein and fiber content. The peppers make a healthy and portable weekday lunch or side dish bursting with savory southwestern flavors.
Low-glycemic brown rice will hook you up with lasting energy. Large red bell peppers are cooked and jam-packed with a delectable mixture of beans, rice, corn kernels, and tomato sauce. The melty cheese coating the pepper tops will make your taste buds sing.
Yields: 4 servings | Calories: 358 | Total Fat: 12g | Saturated Fat: 3g | Trans Fat: 0g | Cholesterol: 7mg | Sodium: 698mg | Carbohydrates: 52g | Fiber: 12g | Sugars: 13g | Protein: 13g | SmartPoints: 12 |
- 4 large red bell peppers, tops cut off and seeds and white ribs scraped out
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1/2 cup chopped onions
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil, divided
- 1 (15 ounce) can kidney beans (small work well here), rinsed and drained
- 1 cup cooked brown rice (from 1/3 cup uncooked rice)*
- 1 cup frozen corn kernels
- 1 cup (8 ounces) tomato sauce (from BPA free can or carton)
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1/4 cup chopped cilantro
- 1/4 cup grated reduced fat cheddar
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher or sea salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- *Add 1/3 cup rice, well rinsed, to 2/3 cup water. Bring to a boil over high heat. Stir once, reduce heat to lowest setting, and cover. Allow to cook for 25-30 minutes, or until all water is absorbed.
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Place all bell peppers on a nonstick or parchment lined baking sheet.
- Heat olive oil in large sauté pan over medium heat and add the onions. Sauté for about 5 to 8 minutes, until softened and translucent. Add garlic and cook for an additional 30 seconds.
- Remove from heat. Mix all ingredients besides the bell peppers and cheese in a bowl and fill each pepper. Sprinkle each with cheese.
- Bake for 20- 25 minutes, until completely cooked through.
We need your feedback! Let us know what you thought about this article or anything else on the site.