All the flavors of Korean indulgences, with healthy, clean ingredients!
If you love street tacos or spicy food, it’s time to take a trip to your local Asian grocery store and grab a giant bag of Korean Red Pepper flakes or powder. You can also find it here on Amazon. Traditionally made to use in the preparation of kimchi, this bright red powder adds a mildly spicy punch and incredible bright-red flavor to these yummy chicken meatballs. Cooked until tender, and glazed with honey, this recipe is to-die-for delish. It’s perfect for serving at a cocktail party, but simple enough to make for dinner.
These chicken meatballs may taste like an indulgence, but the lean protein in chicken makes them low in calories and in excess fat. Plus, ginger is a superfood that has anti-inflammatory properties, fights cancer and heart disease, and aids in digestion. And apple cider vinegar is widely touted as a health tonic, aiding in digestive health, soothing sore throats, lowering cholesterol, aiding in weight loss, and helping to control blood sugar levels. Flavor isn’t the only thing these meatballs pack!
If you’re looking for a quick way to prep this recipe, go ahead and bake it ahead of time. The meatballs can be fully cooked, and then frozen until you need them. When you’re ready, pull your precooked chicken meatballs out of the fridge, toss them in a skillet, and cook with the glaze until shiny and tender. Enjoying exotic flavors has never been so easy!
Spicy Asian Chicken Meatballs
- 1 pound lean ground chicken
- 1 egg
- 1/2 cup whole-wheat bread crumbs or almond flour
- 1 tablespoon red pepper powder or flakes, (Korean or Asian recommended)
- 1/2 cup green onions finely diced
- 2 teaspoons garlic powder
- 2 teaspoons ginger fresh or powdered
- 3/4 teaspoons kosher salt
- 3 tablespoons honey
- 3 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- 3 tablespoons tamari or low-sodium soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon sesame seeds
- 2 tablespoons cilantro fresh, chopped
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- In a large bowl, mix together ground chicken, egg, bread crumbs, red pepper flakes, green onions, garlic powder, ginger, and salt. Set aside for 15 minutes to allow the breadcrumbs to expand, then roll into 1" balls. Place on a parchment-lined baking sheet and bake for 18-22 minutes, or just until the center of each meatball is cooked. Transfer meatballs to a large skillet.
- In a small bowl, whisk together honey, vinegar, and tamari. Drizzle over meatballs. Cover skillet and turn stove to medium heat, stirring every 2-3 minutes as needed to keep the meatballs from sticking to the bottom of the pan. Cook just until the mixture begins to steam. Remove from heat, sprinkle with sesame seeds and cilantro.
- Serve meatballs immediately and enjoy!
Have you made this recipe?
Tag @skinnyms on Instagram or hashtag it #skinnyms
We’d love to hear what you think of this post, or what you’d like to see on our site. Leave us a comment in the comments section below.