Save time on dinner and make this meal-in-one tonight.
If you think a baked sweet potato is only good topped with butter and sugar and served alongside a steak, this stuffed potato recipe will change your mind. Full of flavor, this is unlike any sweet potato dish you’ve ever had. It’s healthy, filling, and when served with a green salad it becomes a delicious meal. The filling is a deliciously seasoned combination of corn, black beans, and tomatoes, while the light sweetness of the sweet potato compliments the spices beautifully. If you’re looking for a way to add sweet potatoes to your diet that doesn’t include butter and marshmallows, these southwestern style potatoes heartily fit the bill.
Stuffed Sweet Potatoes Southwestern Style
- 4 sweet potatoes small
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 1 red onion small, diced
- 1 garlic clove minced
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 cup diced tomatoes canned, with juices
- 1/2 cup black beans cooked
- 1/2 cup corn kernels frozen, optional, here's our recipe for Easy Roasted Corn
- 2 tablespoons cilantro fresh, chopped
- sea salt and ground pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
- Put the sweet potatoes on baking sheet and bake for 30 minutes. Remove from oven, prick a few times with a fork and put back in the oven for 30 more minutes or until tender.
- While the sweet potatoes are baking, heat a medium skillet over medium heat. Add the olive oil and the onions. Cook for 2 minutes, until the onions are softened, but not translucent. Add the garlic and cook for 30 more seconds, and then add the cumin, chili powder, and a pinch of salt. Add the tomatoes, beans and corn. Stir until combined; add the cilantro and season with salt and pepper to taste.
- To serve, remove the sweet potatoes from the oven, slice down the middle and season lightly with salt. Divide the filling between the potatoes and serve.
Have you made this recipe?
Tag @skinnyms on Instagram or hashtag it #skinnyms
For more delicious and nutritious recipes from Skinny Ms., check out our Skinny Ms. Recipe Collection of 101 Fan Favorites.
Do you have a favorite recipe from Skinny Ms.? We’d love to hear about it. Tell us what you think in the comments section below.