Save time on dinner and make this meal-in-one tonight.
If you think a baked sweet potato is only good topped with butter and sugar and served alongside a steak, this stuffed potato recipe will change your mind. Full of flavor, this is unlike any sweet potato dish you’ve ever had. It’s healthy, filling, and when served with a green salad it becomes a delicious meal. The filling is a deliciously seasoned combination of corn, black beans, and tomatoes, while the light sweetness of the sweet potato compliments the spices beautifully. If you’re looking for a way to add sweet potatoes to your diet that doesn’t include butter and marshmallows, these southwestern style potatoes heartily fit the bill.
Did you know that Sweet Potatoes are SUPERFOODS? For a complete SUPERFOOD list, click here.
Stuffed Sweet Potatoes Southwestern Style
- 4 sweet potatoes small
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 1 red onion small, diced
- 1 garlic clove minced
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 cup diced tomatoes canned, with juices
- 1/2 cup black beans cooked
- 1/2 cup corn kernels frozen, optional, here's our recipe for Easy Roasted Corn
- 2 tablespoons cilantro fresh, chopped
- sea salt and ground pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
- Put the sweet potatoes on baking sheet and bake for 30 minutes. Remove from oven, prick a few times with a fork and put back in the oven for 30 more minutes or until tender.
- While the sweet potatoes are baking, heat a medium skillet over medium heat. Add the olive oil and the onions. Cook for 2 minutes, until the onions are softened, but not translucent. Add the garlic and cook for 30 more seconds, and then add the cumin, chili powder, and a pinch of salt. Add the tomatoes, beans and corn. Stir until combined; add the cilantro and season with salt and pepper to taste.
- To serve, remove the sweet potatoes from the oven, slice down the middle and season lightly with salt. Divide the filling between the potatoes and serve.
Have you made this recipe?
Tag @skinnyms on Instagram or hashtag it #skinnyms
Don’t miss out on the latest and greatest from Skinny Ms…
Be sure to like our Facebook page and follow us on Pinterest for tasty recipes, clean eating tips, and healthy lifestyle resources.
For more delicious and nutritious recipes from Skinny Ms., check out our Skinny Ms. Recipe Collection of 101 Fan Favorites.
Do you have a favorite recipe from Skinny Ms.? We’d love to hear about it. Tell us what you think in the comments section below.
can these be frozen
Crystal, I've never frozen them and not too sure how they would taste when thawed. I probably wouldn't recommend freezing this recipe.
How many ounces is a small potato
There are approximately 4-5 ounces in a small potato.
can you meal prep these and keep them in the fridge?
Hannah, Sure can. Enjoy.