Delight your guests, Italian-style.
In an Italian household, antipasto is a way of life. Antipasto dishes are often comprised of meats or fishes, or various cheeses, but another popular antipasto, which has made its way into the hearts of American diners, is bruschetta. Simply put, bruschetta is grilled bread, served with toppings ranging from vegetables to meat to cheese. Our tomato and basil bruschetta is a classic, and a healthy appetizer that combines a classic pairing of flavors to delight you and your guests.
We’ve chosen a whole wheat baguette for our bread, which is a much healthier choice than refined white bread. Whole wheat contains the germ, endosperm, and bran of the wheat, making it a clean, whole food that offers more nutrients and fiber than white bread. Slice your baguette and drizzle with olive oil, a sprinkle of sea salt, and roast it in the oven until it’s toasted and crunchy. We like a crunch that helps the bread stand up to juicy tomatoes and retain its texture.
Choose the most fresh variety of tomatoes you can find locally, and chop them up, mixing them with basil, garlic, olive oil, and sea salt. The pairing of tomato and basil is the perfect combination of sweet and herbal, juicy and leafy. Top your bruschetta with this mixture, and serve! Your guests won’t guess how easy and healthful your antipasto really is!
Tomato and Basil Bruschetta
- 12 slices whole-wheat baguette
- 2 tomatoes vine-ripened, chopped
- 1/4 cup basil leaves fresh, chopped plus a few whole leaves for optional garnish
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil divided
- 1/2 teaspoon salt divided
- 1 garlic clove minced
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
- Spread slices of bread on a baking sheet.
- Drizzle with one tablespoon olive oil and sprinkle with 1/4 teaspoon salt.
- Toast for about 5 minutes or until golden and crisp.
- Remove from the oven to cool.
- Combine the tomatoes, garlic, basil, and remaining olive oil and salt. Garnish with basil leaves, if desired.
Have you made this recipe?
Tag @skinnyms on Instagram or hashtag it #skinnyms
Let us know how we’re doing! Tell us what you think about this post, and about the content you enjoy on our site, in the comments section.