This Tuscan turkey meatloaf is a fun variation on the traditional hearty dinner, but it is much healthier. Healthy meatloafs have a reputation for being dry and bland. Many people prefer the traditional version, even though they know it is not all that healthy. Luckily, with this Tuscan meatloaf, you can enjoy a healthy, whole foods version that is lower in saturated fat without sacrificing any of the delicious meatloaf taste you love.
Dishes made with ground beef are typically high in fat and loaded with calories. Like many indulgent foods, ground beef might be OK on occasion, but when possible, it is better to opt for a healthier alternative. Ground turkey is ideal for substituting in just about any ground beef dish. It has the same consistency and texture, but it is much leaner. Ground turkey also has a mild taste, so it soaks in whatever herbs and spices you include in the recipe.
This ground turkey meatloaf is one of our favorites because it is packed with Tuscan flavor. It is ideal for a cozy winter meal or for entertaining during the holidays, but it is light enough to be served during the warmer months of the year.
We love this version of meatloaf. A big thank you to Leslie from Dishing with Leslie, for sharing this amazingly delicious recipe. Check out Leslie’s blog and visit the creator of Dishing with Leslie on Facebook.
Yields: 8 servings | Serving size: 1 Slice | Calories: 184 | Total Fat: 4 g | Saturated Fats: 1 g | Trans Fats: 0 g | Cholesterol: 74 mg | Sodium: 394 mg | Carbohydrates: 20 g | Dietary fiber: 3 g | Sugars: 11 g | Protein: 18 g | SmartPoints: 5 |
- 2 lbs ground turkey breast
- 2 egg whites
- 1/2 cup skim milk
- 1 cup cooked quinoa
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 2 tsp salt
- 1 tsp black pepper
- 2 tsp oregano
- 1-2 Tbsp fresh parsley
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 Tbsp olive oil *I added this because the turkey breast is so lean; you don't want it to dry out.
- 1-2 cups marinara sauce, plus extra for serving.
- 1/2 sweet onion, finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 tsp olive oil
- 1 cup tomato sauce
- 1 15 oz can petite diced tomatoes
- 1 28 oz can crushed tomatoes
- 1 Tbsp balsamic vinegar *optional
- 2 tsp dried oregano
- pinch of red pepper flakes
- salt and pepper to taste
- Meatloaf Directions:
- In a large mixing bowl, mix together ground turkey, egg whites, quinoa, skim milk, and cheese. Use your bare hands for best results. Then mix in salt, pepper, oregano, garlic, and parsley. Mix well and press into a lightly greased 9x5 loaf pan. Or you can form it into the shape of a loaf and bake in a 9x13 baking dish. Top with marinara sauce and bake in preheated 325 degree oven for 1 hour. Remove from oven and let rest for 10 minutes before serving. I like to serve it alongside some roasted cauliflower with some additional marinara on the side. Enjoy!
- Marinara Directions:
- Saute the onion and garlic in a medium size sauce pan for about five minutes or so. Just until the onions soften and the garlic is fragrant. Add in tomato sauce, diced tomatoes, and crushed tomatoes, stirring to mix well. Add oregano and a pinch or two of crushed red pepper flakes. *if using the balsamic vinegar, add it in now. Cover and let simmer on low heat for about half an hour. Salt and pepper to taste before serving.
Don’t miss out on the latest and greatest from Skinny Ms…
Be sure to subscribe to our newsletter. Also, like our Facebook page and follow us on Pinterest for tasty recipes, clean eating tips, and healthy lifestyle resources.
For more delicious and nutritious recipes from SkinnyMs., check out our SkinnyMs. Recipe Collection of 101 Fan Favorites.
Do you have a favorite SkinnyMs. recipe? We’d love to hear about it. Tell us what you think in the comments section below.