We absolutely love five-ingredient recipes, especially when they’re made in the Crock Pot! This Slow Cooker Chicken Chili Verde really has it all: tender, shredded chicken swimming in a mildly spicy salsa verde sauce. And, since you cook the chicken alongside navy or great northern beans, you create a complete meal! No need to whip up any rice or quinoa on the side; this chicken dish is perfectly filling and satisfying on its own.
That being said, you can absolutely turn our Slow Cooker Chicken Chili Verde into a few different meals. It’s fantastic when served as-is as a soup, but you can also remove the chicken and beans from the sauce using a slotted spoon. Then, use the filling for tacos, burritos, quesadillas, or power bowls. The possibilities are endless!
Don’t be Afraid of Leftover Slow Cooker Chicken Chili Verde
Here at SkinnyMs, we’re big fans of leftovers. Making extra food and utilizing the leftovers is a fantastic way to meal prep. (Wondering how to meal prep for your weight loss plan? Read this guide!)
When you have leftover chicken on hand, you have access to a lean protein that’s both filling for your belly and satisfying to your taste buds. This recipe transforms a pound of raw chicken into about six cups of shredded, ready-to-eat chicken. You can store the cooked chicken in the refrigerator for up to five days, or freeze it in air-tight containers or bags for up to six months. Then, reheat your leftovers on the stovetop or the microwave.
If you don’t know what to do with leftover beans, feel free to leave them out of the slow cooker when you make this Slow Cooker Chicken Chili Verde. The chicken will still taste as delicious, but it won’t be as filling without the plant-based protein and fiber that the beans bring to the table. For that reason, we’d definitely recommend cooking the recipe as-is, but you could also serve the shredded chicken over quinoa or brown rice to fill in the nutritional blanks.
Yield: 4 servings | Serving Size: about 1 1/2 cup | Calories: 330 | Total Fat: 5 g | Saturated Fat: 1 g | Carbohydrates: 33 mg | Fiber: 9 g | Sugar: 6 g | Protein: 37 g | Cholesterol: 83 mg | Sodium 1566 mg | SmartPoints (Freestyle): 0
- 1 pound boneless and skinless chicken breast
- 1 (24 ounce) jar no-sugar added salsa verde
- 1 cup low-sodium chicken broth
- 1 (15 ounce) can great northern or navy beans
- 1/4 cup fresh cilantro, chopped
- Add all ingredients except for fresh cilantro to a slow cooker. Cook on low for 6 hours or on high for 4 hours or until the chicken is tender. Remove the chicken breast from the slow cooker and shred. Return the shredded chicken to the cooker. Ladle into bowls and top with fresh cilantro.
- Optional: For extra flavor, top your chicken chili verde with fat-free sour cream, diced onions, diced tomato, shredded fat-free cheddar cheese, or sliced jalapeno!
Now that you’ve fallen in love with our Slow Cooker Chicken Chili Verde, don’t forget to follow us on Facebook! You’ll get access to all the latest and greatest recipes, videos, workout plans, and more!