Think about what you could do with a batch of prepared, shredded, delicious chicken on hand! Many of our meals tend to side-step protein-rich meals that use meat, poultry, or fish. Whipping together a veggie stir fry or a big salad is often easier than seasoning and cooking meat. But, this Slow Cooker Everything Chicken changes all that. It’s so simple: by slow cooking chicken with olive oil, salt, pepper, garlic, and broth, you’ll end up with a supply of chicken that is versatile enough to add to salads and stir fry dishes or to mix into tacos, soups, stews, or pastas.
Chicken dishes are a staple in the United States, and with good reason. Chicken is an inexpensive source of lean protein, and it’s readily available. Having a pre-made batch of chicken in your kitchen is sure to make many of your recipes infinitely easier, especially on weeknights. After cooking the chicken, you can slice it to serve on sandwiches, or shred it by hand. If you want to save time, you can toss it into a stand mixer and use the paddle attachment to shred it for you!
Ways to Use Slow Cooker Everything Chicken
We call it Everything Chicken because you can use it on everything! Sometimes, we mix the chicken with pesto sauce and spread on bruschetta or use it atop pasta. It’s also super easy to turn this chicken into homemade chicken soup, whether it’s a traditional variety a variation like Tortilla Soup. It comes together so much more quickly with pre-made chicken on hand!
Dinner isn’t the only time of day when you need some backup in the kitchen. At lunch, whip this chicken into a chicken salad and make some satisfying sandwiches for the whole family. Add to salads or allow your family to assemble tacos or burrito bowls. Once you make a batch of this Slow Cooker Everything Chicken, you’ll never go without it on hand again.
This chicken lasts about three days in the refrigerator, but you can also freeze it. Let the cooked chicken cool before freezing it – we like portioning it into individual portion bags so it’s easier to use. Then, just pull it out and let it thaw overnight in the refrigerator before reheating it for lunch or dinner.
Yields: 10 servings | Serving Size: 1/10 of recipe | Calories: 224 | Total Fat: 10 g | Saturated Fat: 2 g | Trans Fat: 0 g | Cholesterol: 87 mg | Sodium: 155 mg | Carbohydrates: 2 g | Dietary Fiber: 0 g | Sugars: 0 g | Protein: 29 g | SmartPoints (Freestyle): 5
- 3 pounds boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 1- 2 tablespoons chopped garlic
- 1 1/2 teaspoons kosher or sea salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 cup low-sodium vegetable or chicken broth
- Place chicken in slow cooker. Drizzle with olive oil being sure to coat all sides. Add garlic, sea salt, and pepper. Pour broth around the outside of the chicken. Cover and cook on low for 6-8 hours, or on high for 3-4 hours, or until chicken reaches an internal temperature of 170 degrees.
- When the chicken is tender and cooked through, remove it from the slow cooker and slice or shred with a fork.
- Serve in tacos, soup or chili, with your favorite gravy & mashed potatoes, cook it into a chicken casserole, or top it with teriyaki sauce and serve it over brown rice for a Asian twist. Enjoy!
Make sure that you subscribe to our newsletter so you won’t miss out on all things SkinnyMs.