Think about what you could do with a batch of prepared, shredded, delicious white meat chicken on hand! We know that many of our meals tend to side step protein-rich meat, poultry, and fish simply because whipping together a veggie stir fry or a big salad is easier than rinsing, seasoning, and cooking meat. But this Everything Chicken is made simply, by slow cooking chicken with olive oil, salt, pepper, garlic, and broth, and yields a supply of chicken that is versatile enough to add to salads and stir fry dishes, or to mix into tacos, soups, stews, or pastas.
Chicken dishes are a staple in the United States, and with good reason. Chicken is an inexpensive source of lean protein, and readily available. Having a pre-made batch of chicken in your kitchen is sure to make many of your recipes infinitely easier, especially on weeknights. We like to mix chicken with pesto sauce, and spread on bruschetta or use atop pasta. Homemade chicken soup, whether the traditional variety, or a variation like Tortilla Soup, is so much quicker with premade chicken on hand.
Dinnertime isn’t the only time of day when you need some backup in the kitchen. At lunch, whip this chicken into a chicken salad and make some satisfying sandwiches for the whole family. Add to salads or allow your family to assemble tacos or burrito bowls. Once you make a batch of this Everything Chicken, you’ll never go without it on hand again.
Yields: 10 servings | Serving Size: 1/10 of recipe | Calories: 224 | Total Fat: 10 g | Saturated Fat: 2 g | Trans Fat: 0 g | Cholesterol: 87 mg | Sodium: 155 mg | Carbohydrates: 2 g | Dietary Fiber: 0 g | Sugars: 0 g | Protein: 29 g | SmartPoints: 5
- 3 pounds boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 1- 2 tablespoons chopped garlic
- 1 1/2 teaspoons kosher or sea salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 cup low-sodium vegetable or chicken broth
- Place chicken in slow cooker. Drizzle with olive oil being sure to coat all sides. Add garlic, sea salt, and pepper. Pour broth around the outside of the chicken. Cover and cook on low for 6-8 hours, or on high for 3-4 hours, or until chicken reaches an internal temperature of 170 degrees.
- When the chicken is tender and cooked through, remove it from the slow cooker and slice or shred with a fork.
- Serve in tacos, soup or chili, with your favorite gravy & mashed potatoes, cook it into a chicken casserole, or top it with teriyaki sauce and serve it over brown rice for a Asian twist. Enjoy!
Make sure that you subscribe to our newsletter, so that you don’t miss out on all things SkinnyMs.