Most women focus on legs, abs, and buttocks during workouts, but what about the back? An often-neglected area of the body, especially for women, back strength like core strength, is important for spinal stability and proper posture. 5 Moves to a Stronger Back & Core, includes a list of exercises that will help you look your best while building a stronger back & core. These exercises can be done daily as part of an overall fitness routine.
Equipment Needed: Yoga mat
What to do: Complete 3 rounds of the 5 exercises below. To ensure that you are using correct form be sure to check out the helpful videos below.
1. Side Plank – Resting on your forearm, lie in a straight line from feet to head on one side, keeping your elbow directly under your shoulder. Lift your hips off the floor up and down, gently contracting your abdominals all while maintaining the straight-line posture. Hold for 30 seconds then immediately switch to other side.
2. Bird Dog – Begin on all fours with knees hip-width apart, hands flat and shoulder-width apart. Contract your abs by pulling them inwards toward the spine. Without rotating your hips or arching your back, extend your left arm straight ahead and your right leg back simultaneously. Switch arms and legs until you reach one minute.
3. Leg Kicks – Lie on your stomach, with your hands at the small of your back. Lift both legs off the floor and stretch your upper body up off the floor kicking 3 times then taking a quick break while your head is turned to one side. Focus on maintaining posture and balance and continue this kicking motion with quick breaks until you reach one minute.
4. Hip Bridge – Lying on your back with feet hip width apart and flat with arms lying at your sides, lift your hips creating a straight line from shoulders to knees. Hold for 3 seconds, then relax for 3 seconds and repeat 10 times.
5. Tiger Pushups – Start in a child’s pose on the ground. Straighten your arms while sliding your torso forward along the ground and raising your head and arching your spine. Hold for 5 seconds and slide back into the child’s pose. Repeat 8 times.
Looking to reboot your fitness program? Try our 6 Week Emergency Makeover Program.