Most women focus on their legs, abs, and buttocks during workouts, but what about the back? This is a commonly-neglected area of the body for most women. It’s important to realize that back strength, like core strength, is extremely important for spinal stability and proper posture. 5 Moves to a Stronger Back & Core, includes a list of exercises that will help you look your best, while strengthening these crucial areas. These exercises can be done daily as part of an overall fitness routine!
5 Moves to a Stronger Back & Core
What to do: Complete 3 rounds of the 5 exercises below. To ensure that you are using correct form, be sure to check out the helpful videos below.
1. Side Plank – Resting on your forearm, lie in a straight line from feet to head on one side, keeping your elbow directly under your shoulder. Lift your hips off the floor up and down, gently contracting your abdominals all while maintaining the straight-line posture. Hold for 30 seconds then immediately switch to other side.
2. Bird Dog – Begin on all fours with knees hip-width apart, hands flat and shoulder-width apart. Contract your abs by pulling them inwards toward the spine. Without rotating your hips or arching your back, extend your left arm straight ahead and your right leg back simultaneously. Switch arms and legs until you reach one minute.
3. Plank – Lay on your stomach, and prop yourself up onto your elbows so that they are directly underneath your shoulders. When you’re ready, go to your toes, keeping your body in a straight line. Focus on keeping your abs tight and remember to breathe. Hold the plank position for 30-60 seconds.
4. Hip Bridge – Lying on your back with feet hip width apart and flat with arms lying at your sides, lift your hips creating a straight line from shoulders to knees. Hold for 3 seconds, then relax for 3 seconds and repeat 10 times.
5. Tiger Pushups – Start in a child’s pose on the ground. Straighten your arms while sliding your torso forward along the ground and raising your head and arching your spine. Hold for 5 seconds and slide back into the child’s pose. Repeat 8 times.
Take a look at our 3 most popular challenges! Guaranteed to tone your body from head to toe:
Looking to reboot your fitness program? Try our 6 Week Emergency Makeover Program.