Add natural sweetness and nutrients to your waffles by adding applesauce!
If you think applesauce only belongs in your kid’s lunchbox, think again. Along with being a delicious snack at any age, this tasty treat also happens to be a perfect low-fat baking aid. These light and flavorful Applesauce Waffles are a delicious way to start your day off right. This recipe uses whole wheat flower and coconut oil for a lightened-up version of the breakfast favorite. Meanwhile, cinnamon, honey and almond extract combine for a rich flavor combination without the rich calorie count. Not only does applesauce cut fat and add flavor, but it also packs in a few extra health benefits! The low-cal fat substitute also packs fiber and antioxidants into your heart-healthy breakfast. Whip up a batch of these Applesauce Waffles for your next brunch and top with fruit! And if you want to start from scratch, check out our Skinny Applesauce recipe!
- 3 egg whites
- 1 cup almond milk
- 1/3 cup coconut oil melted
- 1 teaspoon almond extract
- 1 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 1/4 cup honey
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 1/2 cups whole-wheat flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- Preheat waffle iron.
- While iron heats, combine the eggs, almond milk, coconut oil, almond extract, applesauce, and honey in a large mixing bowl. In a separate bowl, combine the cinnamon, baking soda, flour, and baking powder. Slowly add the flour mix into the applesauce mix and stir just to combine.
- Lightly spray the waffle iron with non-stick spray. Pour about 1/4 cup of the batter onto the iron and close. Cook 3 to 4 minutes or according to waffle iron instructions. Remove and repeat until all the batter has been used.
- Top with your favorite fresh fruit or syrup and enjoy!
Have you made this recipe?
Tag @skinnyms on Instagram or hashtag it #skinnyms