Growing up, we never had the classic marshmallow sweet potato casserole on any holiday table. My mother had a hard enough time reigning us in; she wasn’t about to give us extra sugar and have us bouncing off the walls! She used to make these fantastic sweet potato casseroles that were filled with cubed potatoes instead of a whipped mash. Even as a picky eater, I loved this side dish. There was something about the combination of maple syrup, orange juice, and sweet potatoes that made me forget that I hated vegetables! These maple sweet potatoes are a healthy version of the dish my mother used to put on the holiday table. It’s not just for special occasions, either; this easy side dish would taste great any time of year!
Making Maple Sweet Potatoes
It really doesn’t get easier than this Orange-Rosemary Maple Sweet Potatoes recipe. You don’t even need to dirty up an extra bowl; after chopping the potatoes and rosemary, place them directly in the baking dish. The four sweet potatoes our recipe calls for should easily fit into a standard 8×8 casserole dish.
Then, add the remaining ingredients. Sure, you could toss everything in a bowl before adding them to the baking dish, but why create extra dishes if you don’t need to? Once it’s all well combined, cover the dish with aluminum foil and pop it into a 375 degree F oven. About 30 minutes later, the potatoes will be tender when pierced with a fork.
And that’s it! A 6-ingredient vegetable side dish that’s both healthy and delicious. Better yet, it’s ready in only 30 minutes. Serve this up alongside your favorite turkey or ham holiday dishes, or make it as part of a quick-and-easy weeknight dinner. It pairs perfectly with chicken breasts, and it tastes pretty good as a side to pork chops, too.
Amazing Orange-Rosemary Maple Sweet Potatoes
- 4 medium sweet potatoes scrubbed, peeled and cut into 1" cubes
- 2 large navel oranges zested and juiced
- 2 Tablespoons maple syrup
- 1 Tablespoon fresh rosemary finely chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher or sea salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
- Place all ingredients in an oven safe baking dish and toss together until well combined.
- Cover baking dish with lid or foil and bake for 25-30 minutes, or until potatoes are tender. Stir occasionally to prevent maple syrup from burning.