This twist on your childhood favorite is all grown up.
Grilled cheese is typically considered kid fare, but our Bacon & Gouda Grilled Cheese with Apple Juice Braised Onions is all grown up. You get amazing gourmet flavor from the Gouda cheese, bacon, and braised onions, but it’s actually incredibly easy to put together. We, of course, had to skinny it up by using turkey bacon, whole wheat bread, and apple slices for even more built-in nutritional value.
This grilled cheese works well for a quick lunch or even paired with a batch of Tomato Basil Soup for a heartier dinner. Even though it’s the “adult” grilled cheese, it’s definitely kid-approved as well!
Bacon & Gouda Grilled Cheese with Braised Onions
- 1/2 yellow onion sliced into strips
- 1 cup apple juice no sugar added
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 thick slices whole-wheat bread
- 1 slice gouda cheese
- 2 slices turkey bacon nitrate-free, cooked
- In sauté pan, add apple juice and onion slices; bring to a boil and simmer until no liquid remains. Turn the heat to medium-low, remove onions from pan, and set aside.
- Lightly brush one side of each slice of bread with half the olive oil. Using the same pan used for the onions, turn up the burner to medium heat. Once the pan is hot, place one slice of bread oil side down into the pan. Quickly place cheese, bacon, and braised onions on bread in pan. Top with remaining slice, oil side up.
- Once brown, flip the sandwich to toast other side. When the second slice is brown, place sandwich on serving plate. Rest for 5 minutes, cut in half and serve!
Have you made this recipe?
Tag @skinnyms on Instagram or hashtag it #skinnyms
Adapted from Olivia’s Cuisine.
Did you try it and love it? Let us know in the comments!