Soup is a great fall and winter food. Healthy soup recipes are great for lunch and dinner, and allow you to cut calories without cutting nutrients and vitamins. This tomato basil soup recipe is even great during cooler summer days when tomatoes and basil are at their height of freshness. If you love delicious soups, you will love this recipe.
Roasted tomatoes have up to eight times the amount of the powerful antioxidant lycopene than uncooked tomatoes. Our soup recipe is made with 100% whole foods and features one of the healthiest superfoods available. Kids even love this soup, especially when it is paired with grilled cheese sandwiches or macaroni and cheese. Tomato soup is a favorite dish for dieters and even for people who are battling head colds or just generally feeling under the weather.
Yield: 5 servings | Serving size: 1 cup | Calories: 125 | Total Fat: 9g | Saturated Fat: 1g | Trans Fat: 0g | Cholesterol: 0mg | Sodium: 78mg | Carbohydrates: 12g | Dietary Fiber: 2g | Sugars: 3g | Protein: 2g | SmartPoints: 4 |
- 1 pound fresh tomatoes (heirloom is best when in season...otherwise, I combine vine ripe and plum)
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil, divided
- 1 carrot, diced
- 1 stalk celery, diced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 medium shallots, chopped
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh basil
- Dash of cayenne pepper
- 1 Bay leaf
- 1/2 teaspoon Kosher or sea salt
- 2 cups vegetable broth, low-sodium
- Preheat oven to 400°.
- Slice tomatoes in half; place on foil-lined cookie sheet. Drizzle 1 tablespoon of oil over tomatoes. Slightly fold the edges of the foil in toward the tomatoes to capture any juice. Roast tomatoes 20 minutes.
- In the meantime, in a small skillet on medium-low heat, sauté diced carrot and celery in the remaining 1 tablespoon of oil until tender, 10–15 minutes. Add garlic and shallots; turn heat to low and continue to sauté another 4 minutes.
- Remove tomatoes from the oven, allow to cool 15 minutes or until they are cool enough to handle. Peel the tomatoes; the peeling should easily slide off. Discard peelings. If desired, push tomatoes through a sieve to remove any seeds. (It’s not necessary to remove seeds, but rather a personal preference.)
- Add all ingredients to a food processor, except broth, or use an emulsion blender to purée.
- Add the tomato purée mixture and broth to medium pot, bring to a boil; reduce heat to a low simmer and cook 15–20 minutes. Remove bay leaf and serve.
Don’t miss out on the latest and greatest from Skinny Ms…
Be sure to subscribe to our newsletter. Also, like our Facebook page and follow us on Pinterest for tasty recipes, clean eating tips, and healthy lifestyle resources.
For more delicious and nutritious recipes from SkinnyMs., check out our SkinnyMs. Recipe Collection of 101 Fan Favorites.
Do you have a favorite SkinnyMs. recipe? We’d love to hear about it. Tell us what you think in the comments section below.