We guarantee they won’t last past halftime. Score!
Foods that follow the three S rule—sweet, salty and spicy—are practically irresistible. There’s something about having the whole trio that makes food particularly savory. Our Baked Rosemary Parmesan Butternut Chips feature every crave-worthy flavor, and they are fantastic. Sweet squash combines with salt and cayenne pepper to make this one of our favorite snacks. Whether you’re on-the-go, at home, or entertaining friends and family, these chips are a healthified alternative to fattening potato chips.
Try serving these at your next sports-watching party. We guarantee they won’t last past halftime. Score!
Baked Parmesan Butternut Chips
- 1 butternut squash
- 2 teaspoons kosher or sea salt to taste
- 1/2 teaspoon rosemary fresh, chopped
- 1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1/4 cup parmesan cheese reduced-fat, shredded
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Using a potato peeler, carefully peel the butternut squash. Cut the squash in half, lengthwise, and scoop out the seeds. Once all seeds have been removed, slice the squash into 1/8 to 1/4 inch slices.
- Bring a pot of water to a boil. Gently drop the sliced butternut squash into the water and boil for one to two minutes. This will allow the squash to bake and become crispy, like a chip. Squash should still be slightly firm–not mushy. Drain the squash and rinse in cold water to stop the cooking process. Gently pat dry.
- While squash is drying, mix salt, fresh rosemary, and cayenne in a small bowl. Once dry, carefully toss the squash in the extra virgin olive oil and salt mixture. Line cookie sheet with parchment paper and lightly mist with nonstick cooking spray.
- Arrange squash on the sheet so the pieces are not overlapping or touching. Sprinkle with parmesan cheese. Bake 15 to 20 minutes, until golden. Allow to cool to room temperature and store in an airtight container. Best if eaten after cooling.
Have you made this recipe?
Tag @skinnyms on Instagram or hashtag it #skinnyms
We love hearing from our readers. Let us know what you thought about this article or anything else on the site. Leave a comment in the section below.