Chances are good that you already have all of the ingredients on hand!
Tired of plain old banana bread? Switch it up with these cute and tasty banana bread cookies. They’re whole grain, vegan, and simply delicious! Perfect for children and adults alike, these yummy homemade treats will delight you and your family in a healthier way!
Banana Bread with a Twist
Too many overripe bananas on the kitchen counter? I’ve been there! Don’t let them go to waste! Instead, put a spin on classic banana bread and make these easy banana bread cookies! They’re cute, fluffy, and perfectly bite-sized. Plus, they’ll put your bananas to good use! Chances are good that you already have all of the ingredients on hand, too!
A Healthy Dessert
These cookies are not only a delicious dessert, but they are also an awesome source of fiber and vitamins. Ingredients like whole wheat flour, banana, and walnuts, offer excellent nutrients to help you reach your health goals. And with these cookies being egg, honey, and butter-free, they’re perfect for vegans, as well. At just 83 calories per serving, they will satisfy your sweet tooth without breaking the calorie bank!
Going Bananas for this Treat
Bananas are an excellent source of potassium, fiber, and vitamin C. In this recipe, they not only offer important nutrients and yummy flavor, but also act as an emulsfier, which helps keep the cookie ingredients together. If you haven’t got any bananas on hand, you can swap in 1/3 cup of apple sauce instead for an apple cookie. Other substitutions include gluten-free flour blends in place of whole wheat flour, as well as swapping out the walnuts for other additions such as chocolate chips or raisins.
Bake Up these Cookies
Start by preheating your oven to 350°F. Meanwhile, mash your banana in a bowl. If you’re using frozen banana, make sure it has been thawed before prepping this recipe. Once mashed, combine with coconut oil, coconut sugar, almond milk, and vanilla extract. In a separate bowl, mix together the whole wheat flour, baking powder, cinnamon, and salt. Then, gradually mix the flour mixture into the banana mixture, making sure to combine well and avoid clumps. Gently mix in the crushed walnuts. Once fully mixed, drop 1 to 2 tablespoon sized balls of the dough on a lined baking sheet. You should get about 16 cookies out of one batch. Bake for about 10 minutes, or until golden in color. Let the cookies sit for another 10 minutes or so to let firm before cooling on a wire rack.
Banana Bread Cookies
- 1 126g/4.5oz medium banana overly ripe
- 2 tablespoons coconut oil melted
- 1/3 cup coconut sugar
- 1 tablespoon almond milk unsweetened
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- 3/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup walnuts crushed
- Start by preheating your oven to 350°F.
- Mash the banana, then combine it with coconut oil, coconut sugar, almond milk, and vanilla extract. Mix well.
- In a separate bowl, mix together the whole wheat flour, baking powder, cinnamon, and salt.
- Gradually mix the flour mixture into the banana mixture, making sure to combine well and avoid clumps. Gently mix in the crushed walnuts.
- Drop 1-2 tablespoon sized balls of the dough on a lined baking sheet.
- Bake for about 10 minutes or until golden.
- Let sit for another 10 minutes or so to let firm before cooling on a wire rack.
Have you made this recipe?
Tag @skinnyms on Instagram or hashtag it #skinnyms
Did you enjoy these banana bread cookies? If so, we think you might also like to try our Easy Peanut Butter Banana Cookies!