These candies are crunchy, super low in calories, gets sweeter as they dehydrate, and are addictive! We love creating unusual treats that are ultra healthy and won’t add inches to my waistline. Take these yummy candies to work or the movies and leave the guilt behind. I used NESCO American Harvest Snackmaster Encore Dehydrator for perfect dehydrated snacks.
NESCO offers Food Dehydrators, Roaster Ovens, Food Slicers, Jerky Dehydrators, Food Grinders, and many more items. Take a look at these NESCO products here.
It actually takes more calories to consume these candies than they add to your caloric intake, making them a zero calorie food. Read more about Zero Calorie Foods.
Yields: 6 | Serving Size: 5 strips | Calories: 21 | Total Fat: 0 g | Saturated Fat: 0 g | Trans Fat: 0 g | Cholesterol: 0 | Carbohydrates: 5 g | Sodium: 2 mg | Dietary Fiber: 0 g | Sugars: 4 g | Protein: 0 g | SmartPoints (Freestyle): 1 |
- 2 red bell peppers, remove seeds, core and membrane
- 1 tablespoon pure maple syrup (less to taste)
- Rinse peppers and pat dry with a paper towel.
- Slice bell peppers into 1/2" strips, add to a mixing bowl, drizzle with maple syrup and toss to coat all sides. Cover bowl and refrigerate for 1 to 2 hours.
- Place pepper strips on dehydrator shelves without touching. Turn dehydrator to 125 F, and dehydrate approximately 24 hours or until bell peppers are crispy and brittle. Some strips may get crispy earlier than others, remove as they crisp.
- Allow to cool completely and place in an ziplock bag until ready to munch.
- Oven Directions: Preheat oven to 150 degrees F. Slice the peppers into 1/2" pieces, drizzle with maple syrup and toss to coat. Place a wire rack on top of a cookie sheet, cover wire rack with parchment paper. Place peppers on parchment covered rack, making sure they don't touch. Place the cookie sheet on the middle oven rack, leave the oven door ajar, about 4 inches. Allow peppers to dehydrate until crispy enough to snap in half, approximately 8 hours to 10 hours (depending on individual ovens.
- The dehydrator used for this recipe and all of our crunchy dried treats, NESCO American Snackmaster Encore Dehydrator.
More good news about Bell Pepper Candy according to Nutritiondata.self.com:
Rates a 5 out 5 for optimum health, has a glycemic load of 1, and is a good source of: Dietary Fiber, Thiamin, Riboflavin, Vitamin B6, Iron, Potassium and Copper, and a very good source of Vitamin A, Vitamin C, Vitamin K and Manganese.