There’s nothing better than a comforting bowl of homemade chicken soup straight from mom’s kitchen – or is there? This chicken soup recipe has all those beautiful, loving flavors you remember from mom’s soup, with an added hint of mouthwatering freshness. It’s better than your Mom’s Chicken Soup! The crunchy corn kernels pair perfectly with the chewy green peas and soft-cooked carrots. And the shredded chicken absorbs these flavors, along with the savory aroma of thyme and garlic. Thanks to the crock-pot based recipe, the preparation is painless and the contraption works its magic when you’re done. You won’t resist this rich, bubbling healthy chicken soup recipe bursting with all the flavors of tender loving care.
Yields: 8 servings | Serving Size: 1 cup | Calories: 163 | Total Fat: 3 g | Saturated Fat: 1 g | Trans Fat: 0 g | Sodium: 155 mg | Cholesterol: 26 mg | Carbohydrates: 20 g | Fiber: 2 g | Sugars: 2 g | Protein: 13 g | SmartPoints (Freestyle): 4
- 4 cups low-sodium chicken stock
- 3 carrots, slices
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1 tablespoon fresh thyme leaves
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 3 (3-4 ounce) chicken breast fillets, cut into small bite size pieces
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher or sea salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 cup frozen or fresh corn kernels
- 1 cup frozen peas
- 1/2 cup uncooked long grain brown rice (we used Uncle Ben's Instant Brown Rice)
- Add all ingredients, except corn, peas and rice, to the slow cooker, cover and cook on low 6- 8 hours, or until carrots are tender and chicken is done. Add corn, peas, and rice the last 10 -15 minutes of cooking time.