If you’re a quinoa fan, then you know that there are thousands of healthy quinoa dishes out there. This easy mushroom and brussels sprouts quinoa recipe is one of a kind, and easy to pull off! When paired with flavorful green vegetables and earthy mushrooms, this quinoa makes for a hearty, winter dish that is healthy, low-calorie, and filling. Quinoa, a healthy, high-protein grain-like side, is elevated once sautéed to a crisp before serving. You can skip the sauté if you’re trying to save time, but you should at least try it once before deciding. This is a great way to use up leftover quinoa that you may have in your fridge from another meal.
Yields: servings 4 servings | Serving Size: 1/2 cup quinoa and 1/2 cup vegetables|Calories: 304| Total Fat: 8 g | Saturated Fat: 1 g | Trans Fat: 0 g | Cholesterol: 0mg | Sodium: 257 mg | Carbohydrates: 50 g | Dietary Fiber: 9 g | Sugars: 3 g | Protein: 13 g | SmartPoints (Freestyle): 9
- 1 tablespoon olive oil, divided
- 1 pound fresh Brussels sprouts, shredded
- 1/2 pound mixed fresh mushrooms
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon fresh chopped thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1 tablespoon Tamari or lite soy sauce
- 1/2 cup vegetable stock
- 2 cups cooked quinoa, cooled
- Dried cherries and goat cheese, for garnish
- Heat half of the olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add the shredded Brussels sprouts and sauté until soft. Add the mushrooms and continue cooking until soft and browned. Add the garlic and cook for 30 seconds. Add the thyme and red pepper flakes, followed by the soy sauce. Stir and deglaze the pan. Add the stock and simmer on medium high heat until reduced. Season with salt and pepper.
- While your vegetables are simmering, heat a nonstick skillet over medium heat. Add the remaining olive oil, followed by the cooked quinoa. Stir the quinoa to coat with the oil, and continue to cook until crispy and lightly browned, about 5 minutes.
- Serve the vegetables on top of the quinoa and top with goat cheese and dried cherries, if desired.
For more delicious and nutritious recipes from SkinnyMs., check out our SkinnyMs. Recipe Collection of 101 Fan Favorites.
Do you have a favorite SkinnyMs. recipe? We’d love to hear about it. Tell us what you think in the comments section below.