If you want something warm and hearty, then look no further! This Butternut Squash and Spaghetti Alfredo is a classic Italian favorite with a healthy twist. Made with whole wheat pasta and low-fat milk rather than a heavy cream-based Alfredo, this dish is comfort food that won’t weigh you down. Butternut squash brings rich creaminess and unique flavor to this instant favorite, all while packing tons of health benefits. Low in fat, butternut squash is a heart healthy power food. This fall harvest favorite packs fiber, potassium, and vitamin B6. Pasta lovers will enjoy the rich and flavorful dish with an A+ health profile. During cold nights, warm up with a batch of this delicious Butternut Squash and Spaghetti Alfredo!
Yields: 8 servings | Serving Size: 1 cup | Calories: 257 | Total Fat: 3g | Saturated Fat: 0g | Trans Fat: 0g | Cholesterol: 0mg | Sodium: 25mg | Carbohydrates: 52g | Fiber: 2g | Sugar: 3g | Protein: 10g | SmartPoints: 7
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 cup red onion, diced small
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 3 cups butternut squash, peeled and diced medium
- 1 cup vegetable broth
- 1 tablespoon ground sage
- 2 teaspoons dried thyme
- 1 cup skim milk
- 16 ounces whole wheat spaghetti, (cook according to package)
- 1/4 cup fresh parsley, chopped
- 4 strips (nitrate-free) turkey bacon, cooked and chopped (optional)
- Heat the olive oil in a large skillet on medium heat. Once hot, add the red onion, garlic, and squash. Saute until the onion is soft. Stir in the vegetable broth, sage, and thyme. Bring to a simmer, cover and cook until butternut is tender. About 8 to 10 minutes.
- Once tender, add the squash to a food processor and blend until smooth. Return the mixture to the skillet and whisk in the milk on low heat. Heat until simmering, stirring constantly, and remove from heat. Add the cooked pasta and toss to coat the noodles in the sauce. Top with chopped fresh parsley and bacon (if using). Serve and enjoy!
For more rich recipes that pack on flavor instead of fat, check out our 17 Clean-Eating Recipes with Squash!