This is a healthy pasta salad you'll want to whip up this summer.
There’s nothing like a hearty bowl of pasta, mixed with delicious, fiber-rich, seasonal vegetables, to fill you up and meet your nutritional needs all at once. Pasta is normally made with durum wheat, which is low in fiber when processed, and is a simple carbohydrate that burns quickly. Enjoying a pasta made from complex carbohydrates will offer you carbohydrates that burn more slowly, which is better for your blood sugar, your energy levels, and your waistline. Choose a whole wheat pasta that contains the three parts of the wheat grain, the germ, the bran, and the endosperm. The bran and germ are left intact instead of being stripped off during the refining process, and these contain fiber and nutrients that make your pasta so much more healthy, and a cleaner food than white pasta.
Now that warmer days are approaching, we can enjoy the same kinds of pasta salads savored in Italy. This Skinny Pasta Salad is a delectable dish mixed with Greek yogurt, Parmigiano Reggiano, or Parmesan, cheese, fresh vegetables, and extra virgin olive oil. It’s the perfect dish to welcome spring. We’ve chosen cherry tomatoes and spinach in our pasta salad, but feel free to add any seasonal veggies of your choosing. Zucchini, squash, and asparagus are all excellent warm weather veggies that will make this dish sing.
Skinny Pasta Salad
- 9 ounces whole-wheat short pasta
- 1 cup Greek yogurt
- 1/3 cup parmesan cheese grated
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper flakes
- ground pepper to taste
- 2 cups cherry tomatoes or grape tomatoes, halved or quartered depending on size
- 2 cups baby spinach
- 1 onion small, finely chopped
- Over medium-high heat, boil a pot of water. When it boils, add some salt then put the pasta. Follow the number of minutes indicated in the package for cooking.
- When the pasta is cooked, transfer it to a colander positioned under the faucet then run the cold water through it to stop the cooking. Drain well then transfer to a big bowl.
- In a small bowl, mix the yogurt, Parmesan, extra virgin olive oil, pepper flakes, salt, and ground pepper.
- In the big bowl of pasta, mix in the yogurt dressing, tomatoes, spinach, and onions.
Have you made this recipe?
Tag @skinnyms on Instagram or hashtag it #skinnyms
More Pasta Salad Recipes to Choose From:
Pasta Salad with Grilled Vegetables
Creamy Pesto Pasta Salad
Spaghetti Squash Pasta Salad
Pasta Salad with Pesto, Mozzarella and Tomatoes
Sicilian ‘Cart Drivers’ Pasta
It is always a pleasure to hear from our readers. Tell us what you think in the comments section below.