Apple and thyme make delectable partners in crime.
There’s nothing better than a warm and hearty soup in the cool winter months! With winter squash at its peak, Butternut Squash Soup with Apple and Fresh Thyme is a great way to absorb some of fall’s best flavors. Kids and adults, alike, will love the natural sweetness of the butternut squash and apples, and the fresh thyme adds just enough spice. Soups with both apples and fresh thyme may sound slightly unusual, but when these ingredients come together, they make the squash taste all the better!
Add this recipe to your long list of soup recipes to try this fall; it is sure to become a family favorite! And, be sure to try some of our other savory Soup Recipes.
For more delicious and nutritious recipes from Skinny Ms., check out our Skinny Ms. Recipe Collection of 101 Fan Favorites.
Butternut Squash Soup with Apple and Fresh Thyme
- 2 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 cups butternut squash diced
- 1 granny smith apple peeled, cored and diced
- 1/2 onion diced
- 1 clove garlic minced
- 24 ounces chicken stock
- 2 teaspoon thyme leaves fresh
- 1/2 cup milk low-fat
- 1/4 teaspoon cumin
- salt to taste
- pepper to taste
- In a large pot, heat the olive oil over medium heat. Add the onion and garlic and sauté until fragrant. Add the squash and apple and stir to coat them in oil.
- Cover and reduce the heat. Allow the vegetables to sweat for 5-7 minutes. Check periodically to make sure the vegetables aren’t browning.
- Add the stock, thyme, and cumin. Simmer for 20 minutes or until the veggies are tender.
- Add milk and puree in a blender. Serve warm
Have you made this recipe?
Tag @skinnyms on Instagram or hashtag it #skinnyms
Do you have a favorite Skinny Ms. recipe? We’d love to hear about it. Tell us what you think in the comments section below.