Cauliflower can do so much more than just look sad on a veggie tray! For example, caramelized cauliflower has become very popular as a sweet, exciting side dish. Well, like all of our SkinnyMs. recipes, this version of Caramelized Cauliflower will be welcome on any clean-eating meal plan. Our recipe uses simple seasonings, then caramelizes the cauliflower before topping them with roasted hazelnuts, sage, and Parmesan cheese.
It makes for a great snack, healthy appetizer, or side to accompany a heavy meal. Guests and family members alike will love these sneakily healthy treats! Don’t forget to make a big batch if you’re sharing.
Yields: 4 servings | Serving Size: 1 slice, about 1/2 cup | Calories: 144 | Total Fat: 9g | Saturated Fat: 2g | Trans Fat: 0g | Cholesterol: 5mg | Sodium: 434mg | Carbohydrates: 13g | Fiber: 4g | Sugar: 7g | Protein: 5g | SmartPoints: 5
- 1 head cauliflower
- 2 cups cold water (more or less if needed)
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1/2 teaspoon lemon juice
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 tablespoon fresh sage chopped
- 1 tablespoon roasted hazelnuts, chopped
- 1/4 cup shredded low fat Parmesan cheese
- Remove leaves from cauliflower and cut the head into 1/2 inch thick slices. Slices should be large and resemble a slice of bread. Remove any core on the slices.
- In a large skillet, place cauliflower slices and cover with cold water. The water should reach half way up the sides of the cauliflower. Add the oil, honey, lemon, salt, and pepper, Cover and cook on high until water is evaporated. Cauliflower should be golden brown on one side. When the cauliflower begins to brown, reduce heat to low. Once the cauliflower is deep brown, flip and cook the second side for about 5 minutes. Transfer to a serving dish and sprinkle with sage, hazelnut, and Parmesan. Serve and enjoy!
What did you think of the caramelized cauliflower? We’d love to hear from you, so let us know your thoughts in the comments!