A warm, cozy recipe inspired by fall flavors.
Nothing says fall better than pumpkin, cinnamon, and warmth. This carrot soup with pumpkin seeds has all three! Whether you love the spirit of the holiday season or you’re just trying to stay warm, this is the perfect recipe. You may have never heard of carrot soup before, but this combination of flavors will want to make you give it a try. Vegetable broth, pumpkin puree, and mashed carrots make up the base of this vegetarian soup. These ingredients, combined together, create a thick, creamy texture which holds the warmth of the soup very well. Cumin, coriander, cayenne, cinnamon, turmeric, and other warm spices provide a nice kick to the soup. The soup is finally topped off with Greek yogurt, pumpkin seeds, and a drizzle of olive oil.
So many nutrients pack this dish, as each of the spices has wonderful antioxidant and anti-inflammatory properties to help keep your body healthy and fit. The high fiber content means you’ll be full and satisfied after one serving. Plus, there’s complete flexibility with this dish. If you prefer your soup thinner, you can do that. If you prefer your soup creamier, you can do that, as well. Take advantage of that customizability, because this is a recipe you’ll want to enjoy!
Carrot Soup with Pumpkin Seeds
- 5 cups vegetable broth
- 2 cups carrots cooked and mashed
- 1/2 cup pumpkin puree
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper more if desired
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 1/2 cup Greek yogurt plain
- 1/4 cup pumpkin seeds toasted and shells removed
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- In a large soup pot, whisk together broth, carrot, pumpkin puree, cumin, coriander, cayenne, salt, cinnamon, and turmeric. Heat on medium, stirring frequently until soup begins to boil and reduce to a simmer. Continue to simmer for about 20 minutes, stirring occasionally. If soup is too thick, or if a thinner soup is desired, add 1/2 cup warm broth until desired consistency is reached.
- Ladle soup into serving bowls and top with yogurt, pumpkin seeds, and a drizzle of olive oil. Serve hot.
- OPTION: For a creamier soup, strain the soup through a fine-mesh strainer before ladling into serving bowls.
Have you made this recipe?
Tag @skinnyms on Instagram or hashtag it #skinnyms
We need your feedback! Let us know what you thought about this article or anything else on the site.