This casserole gives new meaning to eating your vegetables.
This casserole gives new meaning to eating your vegetables. Our broccoli and cauliflower casserole dish is full of irresistibly decadent flavors and health benefits!
Vitamin-rich vegetables are cooked until tender and glistening with vibrant colors. The coconut milk adds a hint of tropical sweetness. When combined with Greek yogurt, spices, and Parmesan cheese, it becomes a savory sauce bursting with bold flavor. Pasta provides a chewy, high-protein starch that mixes well with the broccoli and cauliflower. Reduced-fat cheddar or part-skim mozzarella is the perfect warm and melty finish to your comfort food casserole. It’s one of our favorite low-calorie alternatives to full-fat cheese. Simply bake and savor each heavenly bite!
Cheesy Broccoli & Cauliflower Casserole
- 1 cup whole-wheat penne high protein penne, orecchiette, or mini shells pasta for substitute, uncooked
- 1 1/2 cups broccoli florets
- 1 1/2 cups cauliflower florets
- 1 garlic clove minced or 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/16 teaspoon nutmeg a pinch
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice freshly squeezed (about 1/2 a lemon)
- 1 cup Greek yogurt non-fat or low-fat, plain
- 2 cups coconut milk canned
- 1/4 cup parmesan grated
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher or sea salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/2 cup cheddar reduced-fat, shredded or part-skim mozzarella
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Cook pasta according to package directions and drain.
- Meanwhile, bring a large pot of salted water to a boil. Add cauliflower and broccoli florets. Allow to boil for 3 minutes, until crisp-tender and bright. Drain.
- Mix pasta and broccoli/cauliflower mixture, together with garlic, nutmeg, lemon juice, yogurt, coconut milk, parmesan cheese, salt, and pepper until well combined.
- Place cauliflower and broccoli in even layer in baking dish.
- Cover tightly with tinfoil and bake for 20 minutes. Remove from the oven and top with cheddar or mozzarella cheese. Change the oven to the broiler setting and place under for 2 to 3 minutes or until golden.
Have you made this recipe?
Tag @skinnyms on Instagram or hashtag it #skinnyms
For more scrumptious comfort foods and healthy lifestyle tips, like us on Pinterest. Join our thriving Facebook community and subscribe to our newsletter to stay in the Skinny Ms. loop!
Which classic recipes should get a Skinny Ms. makeover? Let us know what you think!
A nice flavor but mine came out rather soupy. . .
I assume the pasta is supposed to go in with everything else into the oven?
We’ve updated the recipe for clarity. Thanks, Christina.
Has anyone added meat (chicken or turkey)?
Can this be made without the pasta? Should the coconut milk be reduced?
Maria, Yes, and probably reduce the coconut milk to around one cup.
I don’t like coconut milk, what can I use as a substitute?
Hi, Sherry. Either almond or cashew milk would make a good substitute for the coconut milk in this recipe. Thanks!
The 13g saturated fat is per serving? If so, is there a way to reduce the saturated fat?
Hi Laura, most of the saturated fat comes from the coconut milk. Instead, try substituting skim milk.
These directions are extremely confusing. Step 4 says to mix the pasta in with broccoli/cauliflower, and combine with the coconut milk mixture. Step 5 says to layer the broccoli/cauliflower with the coconut milk mixture. The final baking instruction is also very unclear – take it out after 20 minutes? Or 15? Bake for another 5 then broil for 2-3? It was swimming in water.
Hi Aimee, I’ve adjusted the recipe to hopefully make the direction a little more clear! There should not be any water in the casserole, make sure you drain the cauliflower and broccoli.
Wish I had read the comments before making this or would have perhaps skipped past this one! The sauce came out very thin for me too even though I did drain the cauliflower and broccoli, and it curdled. Note that I only had 3/4 cup of coconut milk on hand so substituted whole milk. I liked the flavor, but for me, the sauce needs some adjustments.
Hi! Please feel free to adjust the recipe to fit your personal preferences!