This veggie dish is so good it will feel like an indulgence.
For those of us who can’t live without cheese, this Cheesy Broccoli with Cauliflower Gratin is a healthy way to indulge. The bulk of the dish is comprised of a variety of healthy steamed veggies including broccoli, carrots, and cauliflower. Because we’ve replaced rice with veggies, you can reap health benefits while enjoying the cheesy tang.
This gratin tastes sinfully indulgent because of our special herb and cheese mix. Aromatic rosemary, thyme, and oregano add irresistible depth to the parmesan and cheddar cheese. The sweet and tangy contrast will have your tastebuds singing. The panko breadcrumb topping adds a final dimension of crunch and texture to complete this gratin to perfection. Your family will devour this meal and beg for seconds – and you can happily indulge them.
Cheesy Broccoli with Cauliflower Gratin
- 2 cups broccoli florets
- 2 cups cauliflower florets
- 1 cup carrots sliced into rounds
- 2 tablespoons white whole-wheat flour or all-purpose flour
- 3 tablespoons olive oil divided
- 3/4 cup milk 2%
- 1/3 cup cheddar cheese reduced-fat, shredded
- 1/3 cup parmesan cheese freshly grated, divided
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher or sea salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper divided
- 2 tablespoons thyme leaves fresh, or 2 teaspoons dried thyme
- 1/2 tablespoon rosemary sprigs fresh, minced or 1 teaspoon dried rosemary
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 cup panko breadcrumbs substitute whole-wheat if available or regular
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Set up a steamer basket (or a colander) over a few inches of water in a pot so that the water is not touching the basket. Add all of the vegetables to the basket (or colander). Cover and steam over high heat for about 10-15 minutes until vegetables are fork-tender, yet still bright.
- Meanwhile, add 2 tablespoons olive oil to a sauté pan over medium-low heat. Whisk in the flour.
- Continue whisking constantly for about 2 minutes, until the paste formed smells nutty, but not burnt.
- Add in about 1/4 cup of the milk, half of the pepper, and the herbs, whisking all the while.
- Once thickened, add an additional 1/4 cup of milk and whisk until thickened.
- Repeat with the last 1/4 cup of milk. Once thickened, add the cheddar cheese and half of the parmesan, whisking to incorporate. Remove from the heat. Place all vegetables in an 8 x 8-inch pan or a round pie dish. Pour the creamy cheese sauce over the vegetables to cover. Sprinkle the panko breadcrumbs over the top. Sprinkle on the remaining parmesan cheese.
- Drizzle the olive oil and sprinkle on the salt and the other half of the pepper.
- Bake for about 20 minutes, until crisp and golden brown on the top and bubbly. Serve hot.
Have you made this recipe?
Tag @skinnyms on Instagram or hashtag it #skinnyms
Have something to say? Leave us a comment about this article or anything else you’d like to see on Skinny Ms. We love hearing from our readers!