Rich, buttery sweet potatoes contrast with earthy kale in taste, texture, and color, but one thing’s for sure. Both superfoods rank among the most vitamin-rich veggies on the planet and form a killer combo! Our scrumptious casserole features the two vibrant vegetables in a blend of rice, beans, cheese, and savory spices. Ingredients are cooked, topped with cheese, and baked to yummy perfection in this cheesy kale and sweet potato casserole.
Melted cheese adds gooey goodness your taste buds will go wild over. The addition of unsweetened coconut and nutmeg contribute subtly sweet notes to the satisfying dish. This cheesy kale & sweet potato casserole is vegetarian friendly and makes a perfect side dish at your next dinner party.
Yields: 8 servings | Calories: 240 | Total Fat: 12g | Saturated Fat: 7g | Trans Fat: 0g | Cholesterol: 22mg | Sodium: 367mg | Carbohydrates: 24g | Fiber: 6g | Sugar: 4g | Protein: 10g | SmartPoints (Freestyle): 9
- 3 medium sweet potatoes
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil, optional butter
- 1 small sweet onion, thinly sliced
- 1 small red bell pepper, seeded and diced
- 2 cups packed freshly chopped kale, tough stems removed
- 1/8 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher or sea salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/2 cup coconut milk
- 1 (15-ounce) can black beans, drained
- 1 1/2 cups reduced-fat cheddar cheese
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Place sweet potatoes on a baking sheet lined with foil or parchment paper. Bake until tender, 45 minutes to 1 hour. Reduce oven temperature to 375.
- In the meantime, add olive oil to a medium skillet and turn to medium heat. Add onions and bell pepper and cook until tender, about 6 minutes. Set aside.
- In a medium mixing bowl, add cooked sweet potato meat. Mash or puree sweet potatoes along with milk, nutmeg, salt, and pepper.
- Lightly mist the bottom of a 9 x 13-inch casserole dish. Evenly spread half of the mashed sweet potato mixture in the dish. Next top with half of each: onions, bell pepper, kale, beans, then cheese. Repeat layer once more, being sure to end with the remaining cheese.
- Cover with foil and bake for 25 minutes. Remove foil and bake an additional 5 minutes or until cheese is melted and bubbly.
Love the casserole? Want more veggie-based recipes? Let us know! Leave a comment below.