This healthy version of tasty comfort food will become one of your favorites.
Despite being an American classic, Chicken and Dumplings are not known for being friendly to the waistline. With Skinny Ms., however, you can trust that you’ll be getting a version of this satisfying specialty that is not only taste-bud friendly, but downright good for you! Best of all, since it is a slow cooker recipe, it is as convenient as it is healthy.
Made with only 100% whole food ingredients and all the spices and flavors you love, with this slow cooker chicken and dumpling recipe you can’t go wrong. It is a slow cooker chicken dish you will want to add to your regular menu rotation.
Enjoy Skinny Chicken and Dumplings for dinner tonight and try a slice of Raw Chocolate-Coated Key Lime Pie for dessert. Yum!
Don’t miss the Top 20 Healthy Slow Cooker Recipes on Skinny Ms.
Slow Cooker Chicken and Dumplings
- 6 cups chicken broth low-sodium, fat-free
- 4 boneless skinless chicken breast cut into 1" chunks
- 1 onion medium, peeled and diced
- 2 garlic cloves minced
- 4 carrots large, peeled and sliced into 1/2" pieces
- 1 cup green beans frozen
- 2 celery stalks sliced
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- kosher or sea salt to taste
- 2 bay leaves
- 1/4 cup thickener corn starch, whole wheat flour or arrowroot
- 1 1/2 cups white whole wheat flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher or sea salt
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 3/4 cup low fat milk
- Add all stew ingredients to the slow cooker, stir to combine. Cook on low for 5 hours. Combine the thickener with an equal amount of broth from the slow cooker. Stir to remove any lumps, add to the slow cooker and stir to combine.
- After 5 hours, turn slow cooker to high and be sure the broth is boiling slightly then add dumplings to the slow cooker. Using a tablespoon, drop dumplings on top of stew mixture. Be careful to place the dumplings on top and not into the stew. After adding dumplings, cook for 1 hour on high, or until dumplings are cooked through and no longer raw in the center.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine the flour, baking powder and salt, whisk to combine. Pour in the oil and cut into the flour mixture with a fork. And milk and stir with a large spoon just until flour is moist.
- Remove bay leaves before serving.
Have you made this recipe?
Tag @skinnyms on Instagram or hashtag it #skinnyms
In need of menu planning. This helpful menu will simplify dinners for you all week long: 7-Day Dinner Menu, Week One
Don’t miss out on the latest and greatest from Skinny Ms…
Be sure to subscribe to our daily eNewsletter. Also, like our Facebook page and follow us on Pinterest for tasty recipes, clean eating tips, and healthy lifestyle resources.
For more delicious and nutritious recipes from Skinny Ms., check out our Skinny Ms. Recipe Collection of 101 Fan Favorites.
Do you have a favorite Skinny Ms. recipe? We’d love to hear about it. Tell us what you think in the comments section below.