Despite being an American classic, Chicken and Dumplings are not known for being friendly to the waistline. With SkinnyMs., however, you can trust that you’ll be getting a version of this satisfying specialty that is not only taste-bud friendly, but downright good for you! Best of all, since it is a slow cooker recipe, it is as convenient as it is healthy.
Made with only 100% whole food ingredients and all the spices and flavors you love, with this slow cooker chicken and dumpling recipe you can’t go wrong. It is a slow cooker chicken dish you will want to add to your regular menu rotation.
Enjoy Skinny Chicken and Dumplings for dinner tonight and try a slice of Raw Chocolate-Coated Key Lime Pie for dessert. Yum!
Don’t miss the Top 20 Healthy Slow Cooker Recipes on SkinnyMs.
Servings: 6 | Serving Size: 1-2/3 Cups | Calories: 339 | Total Fat: 9 gm | Saturated Fats: 1.5 gm | Trans Fats: 0 gm | Cholesterol: 51.5 mg | Sodium: 435 mg | Carbohydrates: 38 gm | Dietary Fiber: 4 gm | Sugars: 4 gm | Protein: 40 gm | SmartPoints (Freestyle): 6 |
- Stew Ingredients
- 6 cups low-sodium chicken broth, fat-free
- 4 boneless, skinless chicken breast fillets – cut into 1" chunks
- 1 medium onion, peeled and diced
- 2 cloves minced garlic
- 4 large carrots, peeled and sliced into 1/2" pieces
- 1 cup frozen green beans
- 2 stalks celery, sliced
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- Kosher or sea salt to taste
- 2 bay leaves
- 1/4 cup thickener, (corn starch, whole wheat flour or arrowroot)
- Dumpling Ingredients
- 1-1/2 cups white whole wheat flour
- 2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher or sea salt
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 3/4 cup low-fat milk
- Stew Instructions: Add all stew ingredients to the slow cooker, stir to combine. Cook on low for 5 hours. Combine the thickener with equal amount of broth from the slow cooker. Stir to remove any lumps, add to the slow cooker and stir to combine.
- After 5 hours, turn slow cooker to high and be sure the broth is boiling slightly then add dumplings to the slow cooker. Using a tablespoon, drop dumplings on top of stew mixture. Be careful to place the dumplings on top and not into the stew. After adding dumplings, cook for 1 hour on high, or until dumplings are cooked through and no longer raw in the center.
- Dumpling Instructions: In a large mixing bowl, combine the flour, baking powder and salt, whisk to combine. Pour in the oil and cut into the flour mixture with a fork. And milk and stir with a large spoon just until flour is moist.
- Total cooking time 6 hours.
- Remove bay leaves before serving.
In need of menu planning. This helpful menu will simplify dinners for you all week long: 7-Day Dinner Menu, Week One
Don’t miss out on the latest and greatest from Skinny Ms…
Be sure to subscribe to our newsletter. Also, like our Facebook page and follow us on Pinterest for tasty recipes, clean eating tips, and healthy lifestyle resources.
For more delicious and nutritious recipes from SkinnyMs., check out our SkinnyMs. Recipe Collection of 101 Fan Favorites.
Do you have a favorite SkinnyMs. recipe? We’d love to hear about it. Tell us what you think in the comments section below.