Some of the best things in life are simple. Our Chicken & Rice Casserole is no different. Made with whole, clean ingredients, this skinny recipe offers the simple, comforting flavors of traditional chicken and rice, but without any extra fat and calories. Sure to be a hit in your house, our savory Chicken & Rice Casserole pairs beautifully with most of our fresh salad recipes. Which one will yo try?
Chicken dishes can be bland, but this one is anything but. Not only does it make a great meal for entertaining or hosting a get-together at your home, it is a great take-along dish if you are attending an event. Worried a chicken and rice casserole might be a little too predictable as a pitch-in dish? Don’t be. This is one of most delicious casseroles and it is packed with health ingredients. Chicken meals do not need to be boring or predictable. When you combine these healthy ingredients and kick the recipe up with rice, anyone who eats it will feel satisfied.
Chicken and rice is a great healthy combination and always tastes delicious. If you want to prepare something that is easy and nutritious, give our chicken and rice casserole a try.
You might also like some of our other casserole dishes. Try one of these SkinnyMs. Casserole Favorites!
Yields: 5 servings | Calories: 261 | Total Fat: 9 g | Saturated Fat: 1 g | Trans Fat: 0 g | Cholesterol: 37 mg | Sodium: 207 mg | Carbohydrates: 24 g | Sugars: 7 g | Dietary Fiber: 5 g | Protein: 20 g | SmartPoints (Freestyle): 11 |
- 2 to 2.5 pounds chicken pieces on the bone, skinless
- 1/2 cup whole wheat flour
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 2 egg whites, slightly beaten
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 small yellow onion, diced
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1/2 cup red bell pepper, diced
- 1 cup long grain brown rice (uncooked)
- 1 3/4 cups low sodium chicken broth
- 1 (14.5 ounce) can diced tomatoes
- 1 tablespoon no-sugar addedtomato paste
- 1 teaspoon Kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- Add egg whites to a medium mixing bowl. Combine in a separate mixing bowl or gallon size zip lock bag, flour, ½ teaspoon black pepper and cayenne pepper. One at a time, dip chicken into egg whites and allow excess to drip off.
- Next, coat both sides of chicken pieces in flour mixture. Heat oil on medium heat until a small amount of flour dropped in sizzles…indicating oil is hot enough. Add chicken and lightly brown on both size. Remove from oil and drain on a paper towel.
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- In the same skillet, sauté onion, garlic and bell pepper until tender, about 5 minutes. Add all ingredients, except chicken, to a 9” x 13” casserole dish, stir to combine. Place chicken in the rice mixture, loosely cover with foil and bake approximately 60 minutes or until rice is tender and has absorbed most of the liquid.
Don’t miss out on the latest and greatest from Skinny Ms…
Be sure to subscribe to our newsletter. Also, like our Facebook page and follow us on Pinterest for tasty recipes, clean eating tips, and healthy lifestyle resources.
For more delicious and nutritious recipes from SkinnyMs., check out our SkinnyMs. Recipe Collection of 101 Fan Favorites.
Do you have a favorite SkinnyMs. recipe? We’d love to hear about it. Tell us what you think in the comments section below.