I’ve never been much of a morning person. In fact, I’ve always slightly despised mornings. In grade school, parting from my bed was the hardest part of my day. Saying goodbye to my warm, fluffy sanctuary was borderline emotional.
Two things inspired me to get up in the morning:
One, knowing that my irresistibly comfy bed would be waiting for me as soon as school let out; and two, pancakes.
That’s right. Nothing coaxed me out of bed quite like the savory aroma of fluffy pancakes sizzling in the kitchen.
Mom reserved pancakes for special occasions or as a sweet surprise. Whenever I smelled them cooking, I’d hop out of bed all bright-eyed and bushy-tailed, ready to pile my plate high.
We didn’t indulge in them all too often because we knew they didn’t top the charts when it came to healthy breakfast options. Most pancakes just load you up on empty carbs, and lack a reputable amount of nutrients.
However, this Chocolate Chip Banana Pancakes recipe definitely serves as the exception. First of all, the recipe calls for virtually no milk products. Instead, this recipe opts for healthy, vegan-friendly ingredients like coconut oil and coconut milk.
Most pancakes call for butter or vegetable oil, but swapping these conventional ingredients for coconut oil does the dish a whole bunch of health-related favors.
Coconut oil ranks high on our list of incredible superfoods. It lowers your bad cholesterol, promotes heart health and lowers your risk of heart disease.
Meanwhile, you don’t have to drown these cakes with maple syrup. Creamy bananas and coconut sugar naturally sweeten the pancakes, sparing you the boatload of sugar and empty calories you get from syrup.
Bananas give these yummy cakes a major flavor boost, while carrying a bunch of vitamins and minerals like potassium, calcium, manganese, magnesium, iron, and B6.
Coined nature’s energy-booster, bananas carry the fuel you need to conquer the day. The nutritional powerhouse keeps your blood sugar steady, your brain alert, and your metabolism running strong!
And finally, we’ve opted for whole wheat flour instead of white flour, kicking the recipe’s nutritional value up a few notches with its complex carbs and fiber.
Chocolate chips (vegan ones, of course!) blend beautifully with the rich, creamy banana and add decadent flavor to each and every bite. At the same time, the banana and coconut oil duo lends a fluffy texture and moistness to every bite.
In fact, the combination of bananas and chocolate make these pancakes decadent enough to enjoy as dessert! And a guilt-free one at that, thanks to the handful of feel-good ingredients the recipe calls for.
And did I mention they’re super easy to whip up? Simply combine ingredients, fold in chocolate chips, and whisk together until you’ve reached a smooth, creamy consistency. Then, pop them on the griddle for a few minutes on each side. Easy peazy!
Perfect for lazy Sunday mornings or weekend brunches, these heavenly pancakes are guaranteed to put smiles on whoever you serve. For extra flavor and some added beauty, top your cakes with sliced strawberries and chopped nuts.
You really can’t go wrong with these nutritious pancakes- and we promise they’ll be a regular on your breakfast menu. We’d love to know what you think!
Yields: 6 pancakes | Serving Size: 1 pancake | Calories: 271 | Total Fat: 16g | Saturated Fat: 13g | Trans Fat: 0g | Cholesterol: 0mg | Sodium: 218mg | Carbohydrates: 32g | Fiber: 4g | Sugar: 7g | Protein: 5g | SmartPoints (Freestyle): 12
- 1 large overly ripe banana, mashed
- 2 tablespoons coconut sugar
- 3 tablespoons coconut oil, melted
- 1 cup coconut milk
- 1 1/2 cups whole wheat flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 cup vegan chocolate chips, we used Enjoy Life Mini Chips
- In a large mixing bowl, combine the banana, sugar, oil, and milk. Mix well to combine. Add the flour and baking soda, carefully stir until just combined. Be careful not to over mix. Gently fold in the chocolate chips.
- Lightly spray a skillet with non-stick spray and heat on medium heat. Pour about 1/4 cup of the batter into the pan. Cook about 3 to 4 minutes, or until pancakes begin to bubble in the center. Carefully flip and cook for another 2 to 3 minutes. Once cooked, remove pancake from the pan and repeat the process until all the batter has been used. Grease the skillet as needed with non-stick spray in-between cooking the pancakes.
- Serve hot, if desired top with maple syrup, honey, coconut butter, fresh fruit, or your favorite jam!