If you’re following a whole foods plant-based diet, you know how difficult breakfast can be. Most restaurants rely on eggs for breakfast, which are off-limits for anyone on a vegan diet. Even menu items like pancakes and waffles can contain animal products; how frustrating! We wanted to brighten your morning with this recipe for Chocolate Chip Vegan Pancakes. All of the ingredients are fully acceptable on vegan diets, even the chocolate chips!
Making Healthy Ingredient Swaps
Since most pancake recipes use milk, eggs, and butter, we had to do some experimenting to get this recipe just right. To create a plant-based pancake recipe, we started by using coconut oil instead of butter. That swap was simple, but the eggs took some more time. After a few tries, we found the eggs weren’t even necessary at all! The pancakes held together just fine without any egg replacements as a binder.
Then, we used whole wheat flour instead of bleached white flour to amp-up the nutritional value of each pancake. By adding some apple cider vinegar, we created the perfect amount of acid to activate the baking powder and baking soda, giving us light and fluffy pancakes.
Finally, in the end, we settled on using soy milk as our milk replacement. There are a lot of dairy-free milk alternatives out there, but we like the flavor of soy milk the best in our Chocolate Chip Vegan Pancakes (although you can play around with your favorite types, if you like).
Choosing the Right Chocolate Chips
For these Chocolate Chip Vegan Pancakes, we went with our favorite semi-sweet mini chocolate chips from Enjoy Life. You can use any vegan chocolate chips you like, but we love this brand. They’re made from all natural ingredients, and in addition to being dairy-free and vegan, they’re also gluten-free, non-GMO, and soy-free. Since they’re made in a facility free of the 8 most common allergens (wheat, dairy, peanuts, tree nuts, egg, soy, fish and shellfish), almost anyone can eat them!
No matter which brand you choose, make sure you look at the ingredients label to ensure the chips are made without dairy before you pick them up. These Chocolate Chip Vegan Pancakes won’t be plant-based without using the right chocolate chips!
Dairy-Free Milk Alternatives
As we said earlier, we settled on soy milk as our dairy-free milk of choice for this recipe. We like the consistency of soy milk as well as its protein content. Each serving of pancake has 8 grams of plant-based protein, and we love that!
We haven’t tested the recipe using other milk alternatives, like coconut milk, almond milk, or cashew milk. If you try the recipe using one of those milks, let us know how it turned out in the comments! We always love hearing from you, especially when you modify our recipes to work for your dietary restrictions.
Chocolate Chip Vegan Pancakes
- 2 cups whole wheat flour
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon Kosher salt
- 2 1/4 cup soy milk
- 2 teaspoons apple cider vinegar
- 1/4 cup coconut oil melted
- 1/4 cup maple syrup
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1 cup vegan chocolate chips we like to use Enjoy Life Chocolate Chips
- In a mixing bowl, combine the flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. In a large mixing bowl, combine the soy milk, vinegar, coconut oil, syrup, and vanilla. Gradually add the flour mixture and stir just until combined. Gently fold in the chocolate chips.
- Heat a skillet or griddle to medium heat. Lightly spray with non-stick spray. Once hot, pour about 1/4 cup of the batter into the pan. Cook about 3 to 4 minutes, or until pancakes begin to bubble in the center. Carefully flip and cook for another 2 to 3 minutes. Once cooked, remove pancake from the pan and repeat the process until all the batter has been used. Spray the skillet as needed with non-stick spray in-between cooking the pancakes.