This guest recipe for No-Bake Chocolate Covered Cookie Dough Balls is a twist on homemade cashew cookie Larabars, created by Jennifer of Edible Sound Bites. They’re equivelant to eating decadent chocolate truffles…only without the guilt.
Yield: 12 Cookie Balls | Serving Size: 1 Cookie Ball | Calories: 181 | Total Fat: 10g | Saturated Fat: 4 g | Carbohydrates: 23 g | Fiber: 3 g | Sugar: 16 g | Protein: 3 g | Cholesterol: 0 mg | Sodium: 4 mg | SmartPoints (Freestyle): 5
- 1 cup raw unsalted cashews
- 1 cup fresh pitted dates
- 3/4 cup 72% dark chocolate, chopped + extra for the chocolate middles
- Sifted cocoa powder for dusting
- Place cashews in food processor and grind until finely chopped. Be careful not to turn them into flour.
- Next add the dates to the chopped nuts and grind until combined and mixture holds together. It should be sticky enough that you are able to form it together in your hands.
- Using a spoon, scoop a bit of the mix out and roll into 1" balls. Arrange on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper.
- Take a knife or use your fingers to pry a hole in the middle of each one, then place a small chunk of chocolate in and roll it up again in your hands.
- Melt the chocolate using the double boiler method (a heat-proof bowl placed on top of a pot of simmering water) or the microwave. Using two spoons, dip and roll cookie dough balls into melted chocolate to cover and coat. Lift and let excess chocolate drip back into the bowl then return to parchment-lined baking sheet. Chill in the refrigerator until the chocolate is hardened and set. Using a sieve, lightly dust with the cookie balls with cocoa powder for that finished truffle look.
- Store in an air-tight container and keep in the refrigerator. (If you can keep your hands off them that is).
- *If you are allergic to nuts you can use sunflower seeds in place of cashews.
- Nutritional Data
- For one cookie dough ball: Calories: 146, Total Fat: 8g, Sat. Fat: 2g, Trans Fat: 0g, Cholesterol: 0mg, Sodium: 0mg, Total Carbohydrates: 18g, Dietary Fiber: 3.3g, Sugars: 13.2g, Protein: 2.5g | SmartPoints: 6
- Recipe makes about 1 dozen
Jennifer Trennum is the culinary voice behind the beautiful blog, Edible Sound Bites. With a passion for recipe development in particular, she couples healthful recipes with photography to show how whole foods can be beautiful. Her food philosophy: clean, simple and healthy. She has unique and wonderful recipes. You can follow her on Twitter and Facebook for little snippets of her daily happenings.
For more skinny chocolate recipes look here!