This soup is quick, easy, nutritious, and delicious was created by Anne who publishes, FannetasticFood.com. Anne is an avid runner, (whole) foodie, occasional yogi, and lover of photography, travel, adventure, and healthy recipe creation.
Enjoy this awesome Chunky Turkey and Vegetable Soup immediately, or double the batch and freeze the leftovers for a quick mid-week meal! Visit www.FannetasticFood.com for more delicious recipes.
Yields: 8 servings | Serving Size: 1 cup | Calories: 226 | Total Fat: 10.1 g | Saturated Fat: 2.3 g | Trans Fat: 0 g | Cholesterol: 58 mg | Sodium: 261 mg | Carbohydrates: 14.8 g | Dietary Fiber: 2.0 g | Sugars: 2.9 g | Protein: 18.6 g | SmartPoints (Freestlye): 2|
- 1/2 cup brown rice (uncooked)
- 1 lb. ground turkey
- 1 Tablespoon olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 carrots, diced
- 1 stalk celery, diced
- 1 bell pepper (any color), diced
- 1/2 teaspoon each of: dried basil, thyme, and black pepper
- 1 (14.5 oz) can diced tomatoes
- 1 (16 oz.) package chicken broth (lower sodium if possible)
- 1/2 bunch fresh kale, chopped (leaves only, remove stems)
- Cook brown rice per package instructions. Set aside.
- In a stock pot, cook the turkey with the olive oil and garlic over medium high heat, stirring frequently until browned through. Add in the carrots, celery, bell pepper, and seasonings and sauté together about 5 minutes.
- Add in the rest of the ingredients, including the cooked brown rice. Simmer mixture about 10 to 15 minutes, or until veggies have reached desired tenderness, kale has wilted, and soup is warmed through.
- Serves 4; Total time: 25 minutes