The fall season is upon us, and we love nothing more than the aroma of bread pudding, filling the house with hints of cinnamon. This recipe will satisfy your sweet tooth in autumnal fashion, but without the refined and processed sugars and flours found in traditional recipes. Sweetened with raw honey, and flavored with the superfood spice, cinnamon, this bread pudding is healthful and wholesome. Plus, it’s packed with protein from egg whites and fiber from pecans and whole grain bread.
Yields: 12 | Serving size: 1/2 cup | Calories: 198 | Total Fat: 9 g | Saturated Fat: 1 g | Trans Fats: 0 g | Cholesterol: 38 mg |Sodium: 128 mg | Carbohydrates: 25 g | Dietary fiber: 2 g | Sugars: 16 g | Protein: 6 g | SmartPoints (Freestyle): 7 |
- 2 eggs
- 3 egg whites
- 3 cups 1% milk
- ¼ cup raw honey
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- ½ teaspoon cinnamon
- 9 Slices whole grain sandwich bread, cut into bite size pieces
- ¼ cup raw honey
- 2 teaspoons lemon juice
- ½ cup chopped raw pecans
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/8 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1/8 teaspoon cloves
- 1/8 teaspoon allspice
- In a small mixing bowl combine all the filling ingredients.
- Add the first 6 ingredients to a medium mixing bowl, whisk to combine.
- Lightly spray the inside of the slow cooker with nonstick cooking spray.
- Cut bread into bite size pieces.
- Place one layer of bread on the bottom of the slow cooker, add the filling and distribute evenly, then add the remaining bread pieces. Pour egg mixture over bread, ensure all bread is moist.
- Cover and cook on high 2 hours or until bread has soaked up most of the liquid.
- If desired sprinkle the top with a little cinnamon and sucanat.
- Temp: High
- Minimum Slow Cooker size: 5 quarts
RECIPE SIGNUP: If you’re interested in receiving our newest and best Slow Cooker recipes via email, signup here: eNewsletter Signup.