One sip of this spicy coffee and you'll be hooked!
Some of the best coffee recipes involve regular good quality ground coffee beans, and natural spices. This cinnamon coffee calls for star anise pods (pictured) or anise, cinnamon, and orange peel. Traditionally this recipe uses brown sugar, but we have used equally delicious, less refined substitutes here that have a more caramelized flavor. Sucanat, or evaporated, dried, cane juice has the flavor of a light brown sugar. Rapadura, is unrefined and unbleached cane sugar, is a golden brown, and has a lightly caramelized taste. Granulated date sugar is also a nice option. Alternatively, a good clean eating substitute for brown sugar is honey (raw honey preferred) mixed with a touch of molasses, as listed in the recipe below. Using Organic Coffee helps avoid consuming any of the pesticides or traces of chemicals that can be used in coffee growing.
Studies have found that cinnamon contains a compound that can boost metabolism, and coffee, also a metabolism booster, is rich in antioxidants. Of course, decaf can always be used in its place if desired. Enjoy every delicious sip!
Cinnamon Spiced Coffee
- 1 quart water (4 cups)
- 1/4 cup sucanat or rapadura or unrefined other sweetener
- 1 cinnamon stick or 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 2 star anise pods or 1 teaspoon anise seeds (or powdered anise)
- peel of 1/2 an orange
- 1/2 cup dark roasted coffee coarsely or medium ground
- In a medium saucepan over medium heat, cook water, coffee, cinnamon, orange peel, anise, and sweetener until the sweetener has dissolved and the water starts boiling. Allow it to boil for 2 minutes, and remove from the heat. Stir well. Cover and let stand for about 5 minutes. Strain through a fine mesh sieve, and serve.
Have you made this recipe?
Tag @skinnyms on Instagram or hashtag it #skinnyms
Don’t miss out on the latest and greatest from Skinny Ms…
For more delicious and nutritious recipes from Skinny Ms., check out our Skinny Ms. Recipe Collection of 101 Fan Favorites.
Do you have a favorite Skinny Ms. recipe? We’d love to hear about it. Tell us what you think in the comments section below.