Ah, copycat recipes: those beautiful life hacks that let us enjoy our favorite restaurant meals from the comfort of our home. Copycat recipes are a great alternative to eating out for a few reasons. While they’ll save you money, they’ll also save you calories. It’s no secret that restaurant food isn’t typically light fare (with a few exceptions, of course). Copycat recipes–like this Cracker Barrel Hashbrown Casserole–can help you enjoy a slimmed-down version of your favorite restaurant indulgences.
A Clean and Easy At-Home Alternative
This copycat Cracker Barrel recipe gets a clean-eating makeover with the help of a few simple ingredients swaps. We use cleaner alternatives to make it healthier! This recipe gets its classic, rich and creamy texture thanks to fat-free Greek yogurt. Meanwhile, skim milk and fat-free cheddar cheese keep this recipe as clean as it is cheesy.
While we’re definitely focused on keeping this recipe as light as possible, we also wanted to keep it simple. After all, the whole point of a copycat recipe is that it’s an easy, at-home version of your favorite restaurant food. Any overly complicated recipe kind of defeats the whole purpose! So, to keep things simple, this recipe uses frozen hashbrown potatoes.
Comfort Food Made Clean
Whether you’re a Cracker Barrel fan looking for a lighter alternative or you’ve never entered the restaurant in your life, this hashbrown casserole is sure to hit the spot. Ultimately, this easy Cracker Barrel “CopyCat” Hashbrown Casserole achieves what the restaurant does best: comfort food, just made healthier. This warm and tasty side is a bowl of creamy, cheesy potato goodness, and you’re going to love it.
What you wouldn’t guess is that this cleaned-up copycat version packs just 138 calories per serving. This dish makes a perfect side, but you can also enjoy a larger portion as a meal. If you’re a fan of this dish, be sure to check out some of our other copycat recipes, and save yourself some time and calories next time those restaurant cravings hit. Enjoy!
Yield: 8 Servings | Serving Size: about 1/2 cup | Calories: 138 | Total Fat: 7 g | Saturated Fat: 4 g | Carbohydrates: 12 g | Fiber: 1 g | Sugar: 2 g | Protein: 6 g | Cholesterol: 17 mg | Sodium: 246 mg | SmartPoints (Freestyle): 4
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/3 cup yellow onion, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 cup plain Greek yogurt
- 1/4 cup skim milk
- 1 cup fat-free sharp cheddar cheese, shredded
- 1 pound frozen hashbrown potatoes
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Spray a 9 x 13 inch casserole dish with non-stick spray and set aside.
- In a large skillet, heat the olive oil on medium high. Once hot, add the onion and garlic. Cook, stirring often, just until onions begin to turn translucent. Reduce heat to low and add the black pepper, salt, yogurt, and skim milk, stir well. Bring to a simmer, once simmering remove from heat and stir in the cheddar cheese and hashbrowns.
- Spread the mixture into the prepared casserole dish in an even layer. Bake or 20 minutes or just until the top begins to turn golden brown. Let the casserole sit or about 10 minutes before serving.