Looking for some ways to spice up chicken night? Feel like you’ve tried every possible chicken dish out there and the chicken fatigue is setting in? Well, don’t you fret. SkinnyMs. has a crockpot chicken cacciatore recipe to take all of your chicken blues away for good. And what’s even better than that? We bet our cacciatore is healthier and tastier than any you may have experienced before. Don’t believe us? Try for yourself and see!
This super easy chicken dish can be prepared in a jiffy in the crockpot. Add your chicken breasts, which provide lean protein in massive quantities. Chicken is one of our favorite ingredients, as it is readily available, inexpensive, and loads you with protein without filling you with excess fat and calories. Tomatoes and red peppers bring antioxidants to the mix, making this healthy chicken dish a clean eater’s dream.
As it cooks, you can go about your business while it fills the house with zesty aromatherapy. And when it’s ready, the whole family will already be filled with anticipation for the goodness to come. Sweet onions, red bell peppers, freshly minced garlic, and chopped aromatic basil begin the flavor festival. These flavors are followed closely by ground oregano and black pepper, with maybe a dash of red pepper flakes to taste. It’s a crockpot chicken cacciatore recipe to put the “chic” back in your “chic”ken dish nights. Seriously, it’s just that good.
Yields: 6 servings | Calories: 318 | Total Fat: 15 g | Saturated Fat: 5 g | Trans Fat: 0 g | Sodium: 561 mg | Cholesterol: 96 mg | Carbohydrates: 11 g | Fiber: 2 g | Sugars: 7 g | Protein: 34 g | SmartPoints (Freestyle): 9
- 4-6 chicken breasts filets
- 1 yellow or sweet onion, diced
- 1 red bell pepper, seeded, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher or sea salt
- 2 (14.5 ounce) cans fire roasted tomatoes
- 1/4 cup balsamic vinegar
- 1/4 cup freshly chopped basil
- 1 teaspoon ground oregano
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes (optional)
- 1/4 cup freshly grated parmesan cheese
- Pour 1/2 cup of the diced tomatoes in the bottom of a 5-6 quart slow cooker. Add the remaining ingredients in this order: chicken breasts, onion, bell pepper, garlic, black pepper, salt, remaining diced tomatoes, balsamic vinegar, basil, oregano, and red pepper flakes. Cover and cook on high 4-5 hours or low 6-7 hours.
- If desired, serve chicken over a bed of whole wheat spaghetti, brown rice, or quinoa.
- Sprinkle parmesan cheese on top of chicken before serving.
Let us know how we’re doing! Tell us what you think about this post, and about the content you enjoy on our site, in the comments section.