A light, yet filling, dish that is perfect for Fall.
Craving something light yet filling? Our Crockpot Chickpea Veggie Soup will do the trick. Made with pure vegetables and fibrous, filling garbonzo beans, this soup is easy to make and can serve as a meal in itself.
All you have to do is allow the chickpeas to soak overnight. Drain them in the morning, toss all of the ingredients together into the crockpot, and allow them to simmer for eight to nine hours. It’s that easy! The potatoes, carrots, onions, and celery will soak in their own juices and absorb the rosemary, oregano, and bay leaves’ aromatic flavors. Once cooked, you’ll have a hearty soup ready and waiting. This chickpea and veggie soup recipe is sure to please.
Crockpot Chickpea Veggie Soup
- 1 1/2 cups dried chickpeas rinsed and soaked overnight, Optional 2 (15 ounces) cans chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 1 cup carrots chopped
- 3/4 cup celery chopped
- 2 potatoes medium, peeled and chopped into bite-sized pieces
- 1/2 cup onion coarsely chopped
- 4 cups vegetable stock low-sodium (1 quart/32 ounces)
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 tablespoon rosemary sprigs fresh, minced, or 1 teaspoon dried rosemary
- 2 garlic cloves minced, or leave cloves whole, just peeled, and remove before serving
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher or sea salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- Rinse dried chickpeas to clean and then soak overnight, covered by at least 2 inches water in an uncovered bowl or another container in the fridge. Drain chickpeas before cooking.
- Add all ingredients to the crockpot and cook on low for 8 to 9 hours, or on high for 3 to 4 hours. Note that if you are using canned chickpeas this recipe will be done after 6 to 8 hours on low heat. Enjoy!
Have you made this recipe?
Tag @skinnyms on Instagram or hashtag it #skinnyms
We’d love to hear from you! Leave us a comment about this article or anything else you’d like to see from Skinny Ms.