Grab your crockpot and prepare to fall in love! Our quick and simple Creamy Crockpot Corn Chowder cooks up quickly and tastes incredible when served with our “loaded” bar of toppings. A great dish to serve at parties, this recipe takes just a few minutes of prep and is an absolute crowd-pleaser! Invite dinner guests to top their own bowls of chowder with their favorite add-ons. We’ve included a list of classic toppers that make every bowl taste incredi-bowl!
We know what you’re thinking. Since when is chowder considered “skinny”? Luckily, we’ve whipped up a chowder recipe that warms, satisfies, and won’t leave you loaded down with excess fat and calories. We’ve substituted almond milk for heavy cream, which amps up the protein content, but is low in fat, calories, and cholesterol. Many veggie stocks are less fatty and caloric than meat- and fish-based stocks, and this chowder benefits from a flavorful veggie kick.
When you have a family dinner to host, or a group of friends and loved ones gathering for a casual party, simply combine these ingredients in your crockpot, and let them simmer until you’ve got an easy, scrumptious, steaming pot of chowder at the ready. Create your own bar of toppings including tomatoes, scallions, cheese, and onion, or add some of your own favorites, and you’ve got a party dish that’s sure to please.
Yields: 6 servings | Serving Size: 1-1/2 cups plus toppings | Calories: 269 | Total Fat: 11 g | Saturated Fat: 4 g | Trans Fat: 0 g | Cholesterol: 14 mg | Sodium: 152 mg | Carbohydrates: 34 g | Dietary Fiber: 3 g | Sugars: 8 g | Protein: 10 g | SmartPoints (Freestyle): 9
- FOR THE CHOWDER:
- 4 cups vegetable stock
- 2 cups almond milk, unsweetened or 2 cups canned coconut milk (creamier results)
- 2 1/2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 2 cups red potato, diced
- 1 (16-ounce) package frozen corn
- FOR THE TOPPINGS:
- 1/4 cup diced tomato
- 1/4 cup diced purple onion
- 1/4 cup thinly sliced scallions
- 1/4 cup reduced-fat cheddar cheese
- In a 3-4 quart slow cooker, whisk together vegetable stock, almond milk, cornstarch, olive oil, garlic powder, onion powder, salt, and pepper. Stir in potato and corn. Cover and cook on low for 6-7 hours or on high for 3-4 hours. Serve topped with your favorite toppings.
- *For creamier results, remove 2-3 cups of the chowder prior to serving and add them to a blender. Puree on high and then return to the soup, stirring. Alternately, you can insert a hand blender (immersion blender) into the soup and puree until desired texture/level of creaminess is achieved.
Make sure that you subscribe to our newsletter, so that you don’t miss out on all things SkinnyMs.