Crockpots are simply magical. In a few hours, they cook easy meals that taste complex. See for yourself what makes the appliance so awesome with this recipe for Crockpot Rosemary & Garlic Cannellini Beans.
This simmering dish is the perfect comfort food for a cold day. It features chewy cannellini beans with a unique, garlicy kick. Cannellini beans top the charts when it comes to low glycemic foods. They metabolize slowly and provide you with steady energy that’ll last for hours. The rosemary adds a delicate flavor guaranteed to stimulate your taste buds. Just add the ingredients to the crockpot in the morning and come home to a warm, bubbly dinner.
Yields: 10 servings | Serving Size: 3/4 cup | Calories: 148 | Total Fat: 2g | Saturated Fat: 0g | Trans Fat: 0g | Cholesterol: 0mg | Sodium: 219mg | Carbohydrates: 25g | Fiber: 6g | Sugars: 1g | Protein: 9g | SmartPoints (Freestyle): 4
- 2 cups cannellini beans, presoaked
- 2 cloves garlic, peeled
- 1 whole sprig fresh rosemary or 1 tablespoon dried rosemary
- 3 whole sprigs fresh thyme or 2 teaspoons dried thyme, optional
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- Clean the beans. Pick out any debris such as stones and rinse the beans thoroughly.
- Soak the beans overnight in water in the refrigerator, uncovered. Water should rise about 2 inches higher than the beans.
- Drain the beans. Add the beans to the crockpot, along with the olive oil, herbs, bay leaf, and garlic. Add water. Make sure the water goes 2 inches above the beans.
- Cook on low for 6 to 8 hours. After about 5 to 6 hours, stir in the salt. To make beans creamier, smash some of the beans with a spoon on the side of the pan and stir. This will make the bean liquid creamier.
- Do not add the salt in the beginning.
- *Note that this recipe requires a large slow cooker. For a smaller slow cooker, simply cut the recipe in half.
- 2 cups dried beans yields about 6 cups cooked beans.
What’s your favorite comfort food recipe? Let us know in the comments section! We’d love to hear about anything else you’d like to see on SkinnyMs.